Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Going on a long trip in a couple weeks. I need to figure out how to get 2 USB ports and one for my Garmin GPS. The GPS, I’d like to be permanently wired I think.

A buddy of mine is saying to get this
https://www.motorcycleinnovations.ca/Rowe_PDM60_p/pdm60.htm

Looks very easy and convenient, which is exactly what I am looking for... easy.
(Not good with electrical)

Anyway suggestions are appreciated

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why not go to Walmart and pick up a cig lighter attachment? It plug in on the right side of the fairing and has two USB outputs, I have this charging my phone and running my GPS and it has been over a year no issues

Thanks
Robert

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
I think hard wiring the GPS in is a good idea. A lot of folks have done it, including me. Just had to remove the headlight and locate two extra wires. Do a search on this site and you'll get some specific information. Good luck and have a safe trip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the suggestions. I had bad experience with the cigarette lighter setup on my Concours. Anything I plugged in would vibrate out and I'd have to keep pushing it in again.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. I had bad experience with the cigarette lighter setup on my Concours. Anything I plugged in would vibrate out and I'd have to keep pushing it in again.
4 small magnets. Superglue one to each side of the USB plug and one to each side of the USB socket. If you make sure you don't glue it like pole to like pole it shouldn't vibrate out and I'd think the magnets would affect the current minimally, if at all.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I installed a Kury PowerPoint on mine and works great. Kury also makes a USB PowerPoint as well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Why not go to Walmart and pick up a cig lighter attachment? It plug in on the right side of the fairing and has two USB outputs, I have this charging my phone and running my GPS and it has been over a year no issues

Thanks
Robert
I have same set up. Attached it to left inside of fairing with good 3m double sided tape. There is already a hole to run the wires into the fairing to hook it up. Cigarette power hole for Garmin to plug in. 1 USB to keep extra intercom headset on charge. Other USB is for cell phone to stay charged up.
Works fine. Get them off eBay or Amazon...

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the suggestions. Ordered the Power Distribution Module (PDM), a few USB port cables and a Garmin power cable to wire directly to the bike. If I get a cigarette lighter it will be to light up my smoke only. It's all they're good for in my opinion and experience.

Magnets and superglue.. that's good :)

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You'll appreciate having the GPS direct wired. I have a Zumo model, which is DESIGNED to be wired right into the bike.

My only tip with that; is that if you're wiring it INTO the fairing, make sure to REMOVE the inline fuse. The fairing accessory circuit is fused already (the fuse is located under the seat). A fuse inside the fairing is too far away from the battery to be effective, and if it blows; it'll be a huge pain to get back to. And, again, it's totally unnecessary since that circuit is already fused.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 255W on my vaquero and purchased a ram mount and a hard wired cable from GPSCITY.CA they are based out of calgary, not far from you and canadian too. I hard wired the cable to the wires for the 12 volt outlet inside the right side of the fairing. it is a switched 12 volt keyed source and factory fused. if you pull out the right side storage box you can access the wires from there and feed the cable out the hole on the fairing for the support bracket. I put the ram ball mount between the bar risers and use a 6 in. clamp mount with the cradle for the gps. you can still see the radio and have no interference with handlebar movement.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi 255W on my vaquero and purchased a ram mount and a hard wired cable from GPSCITY.CA they are based out of calgary, not far from you and canadian too. I hard wired the cable to the wires for the 12 volt outlet inside the right side of the fairing. it is a switched 12 volt keyed source and factory fused. if you pull out the right side storage box you can access the wires from there and feed the cable out the hole on the fairing for the support bracket. I put the ram ball mount between the bar risers and use a 6 in. clamp mount with the cradle for the gps. you can still see the radio and have no interference with handlebar movement.
Can you post a picture???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wish i could. ive tried to post a pic for my avatar a few times now with no luck. I dont know how to resize pics for downloading. Im not that computer savy i guess.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My bike is a 2016 Vaquero. The GPS is a Nuvi 57.. nothing special but does the trick.
I've used these EDO Tech direct wire deals on a couple of bikes with good luck. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WN4RL6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That one will charge most every Garmin gps that takes a mini-usb. That one will charge a Garmin just like the factory Garmin cable.

They also make these with different connectors, standard USB, micro-USB, etc.

These can be plugged directly into your bike accessory terminals under the seat or in the fairing using bullet connectors.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Can you post a picture???

I think I figured out this posting pics thing??
here is a pic of my gps on my vaquero.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice! I just received RAM mounts and Garmin power cable today. Soon I'll be setup.

Also putting a power line in for a new SJ5000X camera as well. Mounting it in front of the windshield on the fairing I think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts