Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my 2012 Nomad Holdover, which was just purchased three weeks ago today, would not turn over last Sunday. Just got the ratatatata buzzing noise. The initial start up sequence of FI pump and Speedo cycleing all was normal. Checked connections, but found no problem. Put on battery tender until it was indicated it was fully charged, but when tried again, same results. Checked with a meter: 12.7 v stable:; ignition on, drops slightly; start switch depressed, drops low to around 9.0 v and will drop lower if I continue to repeat pressing the start button. Pulled battery and made a trip to Auto Zone where they confirmed the battery was bad. The dealer I purchased from is 100+ miles away. The nearest dealer I like is 30 miles away. Called them. They say they have to have the bike to troubleshoot and confirm the problem for me to have it covered under warranty. They said I could jump the battery and ride it in with another 12v battery, but the other battery should not be in a running vehicle. Jumped with my riding mower battery. It did start, but sounded weak. Checked voltage. Holding at 12.7 v, but when reved engine, did not see any increase in voltage. I know from my exprerience with a bad 900 stator problem, that your stator/regulator should increase the voltage with higher RPM's but regulated not to exceed 15 volts. So, all that for this question: Can a bad battery in the system prevent the normal charging you would see from the stator/regulator? If so, please explain. Anyway, I'm not going anywhere on this. It did not seem to want to run. They can come and get it! :eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi I had a problem with my 2013 vn1700 with one thousand miles on clock, first thing I noticed was when I went to start the bike my head light would not come on I am in UK no switch to turn head light off,
then out riding one day bike shuts down, no charge going to battery turns out it was the regulator rectifier now there is 2 of them bolted together under the radiator all done under warranty hope you get it sorted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts