Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, Friends, maybe you can help me.

My 2001 Vulcan 1500 has sat for two weeks. I just purchased it in Feb. I went out to turn it over and no go. Very weak attempt and then dead.

I put it on my charger and when it was done I pulled out my meter and it read 12.67 volts.

I installed it back in the bike, turned the key on and hit the starter button and... absolutely nothing. Not a peep.

All indicator lights come on, turn signals work, horn works... just nothing from the starter motor.

So... is there a fuse/breaker somewhere? Is this battery junk? I mean I didn't do anything except pull the battery, charge it and then reinstalled it.

Ideas? thanks!

Doc

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Leave key on for 5 minutes and then take a battery voltage reading, key still on.

Post back with reading.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
If you put your test leads on the battery , hit start , and the voltage drops below 12.0vdc the battery is toast.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you sure about your Nomad. I have the 2001 Vulcan Nomad and it certainly has a clock, trip meter, mileage indicator.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Are you sure about your Nomad. I have the 2001 Vulcan Nomad and it certainly has a clock, trip meter, mileage indicator.
Is it FI or carbed? Generally the early 2000s carbed biked have mechanical speedos and odometers and no clock. The FI bikes have electronic guages. Or so I've always been told.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have a 2000 Nomad Fi. It has the mechanical speedometer and it has no clock. Kawasaki switched to electronic speedometers in 2002 models. It's by year, not model.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Hey sfair...

voltage on battery comes up at 12.87

after key on for 5 minutes battery at 12.46
even if you don't have a clock or other such, you headlight should have pulled the btty down more if it were bad. w/o a real deep discharge test, you ca't be certain, but likely your btty is good.

i would clean the starter button (not the run/kill button; it is probably a sealed unit - or just bad). it may be all gunked up and not making contact when pushed. clean it well, then coat w/ a little dielectric grease for lube and protection. after reassembly, you may have to push it a few times to rub the grease off the contact points. if you don't ride in rain, you might skip the grease, but i recommend using it regardless.

even if it is not the problem, cleaning that switch is good reg maintenance task. i try to clean mine every year or two.

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Not sure about carbed models but on FI models, the headlight doesn't come on when the ignition key is turned.
sfair suggested turning the key on, but not to the cranking position for 5 min. most bikes will have the headlight on if you do that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts