Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
To trap heat in and keep warm. I use them when I head out for an all day ride which may lead to night time. Throw them in the saddle bags when it's warm and when it cools off they're easy to put on.

Cowboys used them for herding. Protect the legs from bush and cows. Besides they look cool.

·
Registered
94 Posts
wainui,

I can't speak for anybody else, but I just started using them this year and in the right circumstances, they work great. I have over pants for when it's really cold but I was looking for something for those swing season days when it's cold at the start but warms up in the afternoon, in this situation the chaps work perfectly because they keep the wind blast off my legs and my legs warm, but they're easy to take off and store in the saddle bag when the day warms up. One of the reasons I gave them a try was their price, I got a nice pair of leather chaps (no fringe or anything) from Jafrum for about $50-60. I'm happy with them and I never thought I would be a guy who wore assless chaps, but I'm old enough to just go with what works and not care about how it looks or what anybody else thinks.

Just my two cents
Kovo

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I tried them and I didn't feel any warmer. A very friend officer explained your suppose to have pants on. Of course that makes sense NOW.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Leather protection for your legs.
Weather protection for your legs. (Some of them are lined but even without lining it helps keep cold wind off your pants/legs and provides some rain protection for your legs and upper boots...no help keeping your crotch dry, though.)
Part of the image. <<<Don't hate, you know it's true for some people.
My favorite part: Easy to clean after a trip. The chaps, instead of my jeans, are covered in bug guts and road grime, so I don't have to pack as many pairs of pants, and the chaps wipe clean with some water and a sponge.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've had a set for 5 years. I only use them maybe 5 or 6 times each year. They are awesome in colder weather. Mine are lined. And I stay toasty warm. I got mine from Jafrum.com They were pretty cheap.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had mine for over 10 years. Bought them from a place on the internet called Shade tree for about $79... not even sure if they are still around. They are very thick cow hide and make a huge difference on chilly mornings on the way to work. Most others that I have seen are very thin leather and probably don't do as well to keep the cold on the outside of the leather. If I had to lay the bike down, I'm sure they would provide much better protection than denim alone. An extra layer of skin to save your own! And yes, there is also the image part as well, I have gotten lots of comments from the ladies when I walk into the local watering hole for a cold one! Lol... I don't care what anyone else thinks of them. They do the job they were intended for very well! never leave home without them in the saddle bags if there is a chance of rain or cold temps.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I bought mine a few years ago for about $30. Wore them on a ride when the air temp was 25 degrees. Made a BIG difference in comfort. ALso as stated above,"better cowhide than my hide".

·
Registered
245 Posts
all kinds

Chaps provide protection from the rain, cold, road and bugs. They are not as warm as some manmade materials, and don't provide as good a weather protection from the elements. You can layer up, wear a rainsuit and longjohns, and be fairly warm if your boots are good and you stay dry. However, in a heavy rainstorm, you will be wringing out your chaps.

Manmade fabric jackets and pants offer more weather protection and more protection from crashes with their padding at the knees, hips, etc. I guess it depends on your needs. I have both, plus some padded summer jeans made of fabric that lets the air through. You can wear shorts under them and I think they are cooler than a regular pair of jeans. We also bought some mesh chaps (mesh in back, protective cloth with padding in front). All are expensive but my husband and I've been riding a long time so have amassed a lot of gear. When we used to ride at 40 degrees, I found that manmade fabric pants with liners kept me warm. Now we live where it is rarely 40 degrees, so I don't get much use out of the warmest clothing. I rarely see people with cold weather gear here, and even jackets are optional. So, take a look at your climate and when and where you ride, and start with what makes the most sense for you.

Having grown up in the era of Easy Rider, I've got to say I like the look of chaps the best.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wear leather pants and man made fibres whilst riding.Here in NZ we use chaps on the farm to keep the oils from the animals soaking into our clothes and then into our skins thus producing boils and other skin conditions.Shearers are good example.It would seem that they are very popular in the states havent seen much here in NZ other than at a strip club or on TV (lol) hence the question ,are they any good for riding

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
When riding in cold weather, they keep me warmer, and give extra protection from the pavement. When I'm NOT riding, and have nothing under them, they give my man easier access to the goods! :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I cant afford chaps so I use insulated bib overalls. black of course :) and they keep you nice and warm and dry.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have seen chaps with detachable insulation.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When riding in cold weather, they keep me warmer, and give extra protection from the pavement. When I'm NOT riding, and have nothing under them, they give my man easier access to the goods! :D
I think i love you.........:love:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I Recently inherited 2 pairs of chaps from a family member who was forced to stop riding because of health issues and I love them i was riding when it was 30 degrees and they were awesome people look at you strange with them but then again they look at you strange when it is that cold and you are riding so screw em

1 - 20 of 41 Posts