Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on riding chaps, located in Texas.

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
232 Posts

I have 2 pair. Great for protection from stones, cold, etc., but difficult to put on.
Modern mesh pants & jacket with armor are better. I can wear them alone or over heans, shirt, etc. Great protection even in hot weather. With liners, great for cold too, though leather is better for that. Leather is not perfect for spills. Leather coat saved my elbow, but still had lots of skin loss. Armor is better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts

Wore chaps my first year. Comfortable, easy on, easy off, easy to store. Good protection wearing long pants, (as long as you don't slide on your ass), not good wearing shorts.
Ultimately went with full leather pants - for dressier occasions, or heavy Cloth ones - both of which contain full body armor.
However, (here comes the preaching) I ultimately switched to a full suit. Full protection, warm when cold out, cool in heat, rolls tight, lightweight, best money you'll ever spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
IMHO; I like them. I think they can look pretty sexy if you get a good fit. They will protect you from wind/cold and they will protect you if you go down.

Pros
They're leather
Offer protection in various ways
Makes your butt look sexy (so say all the girls anyway)
Is a cool biker look

Cons
Hard to keep in place (generally want to ride down as they are overpants)
Can be hot on those sweltering days

I finally found some leather suspenders that hold mine in place quite well without looking geeky (very thin and low profile).

I like Chaps. What I like even better are leather pants! All the pros and no cons. No cons because you only need to wear one pair of pants without heavy Chaps over them. Plus+++they make your butt even sexier...according to the girls reactions!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a great set of armored mesh jacket and Overpants. OLYMPIA airglide.

Specifically asking opinions of chaps. What about a pair with full zippered sides.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IMHO; I like them. I think they can look pretty sexy if you get a good fit. They will protect you from wind/cold and they will protect you if you go down.

Pros

They're leather

Is a cool biker look

Cons

I finally found some leather suspenders that hold mine in place quite well without looking geeky (very thin and low profile).

I like Chaps. What I like even better are leather pants! All the pros and no cons. No cons because you only need to wear one pair of pants without heavy Chaps over them. Plus+++they make your butt even sexier...according to the girls reactions!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Here's my pair. Full zipper plus snaps on bottom to adjust length. Made by Milwaukee.
Have them for 7 years and still going strong.

What’s your size on those chaps and your thigh circumference? I am interested in Milwaukee chaps, and not sure about the sizing.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Pros

They're leather

Is a cool biker look

Cons

·
Registered
248 Posts
To each their own, but for me I can't help feeling like a member of the Village People wearing full chaps:smile2:. I have some cheap half-chaps like these from Amazon and I have been very pleased by how they keep the cold air off, keep warmth in, and do a pretty good job of keeping water and muck off of my shins and knees during a light rain. They are quick to put on and take off, too.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Looking forward to the modeling pics of your Chaps. My wife will look forward to them as well.:devil2:

When I was Chaps shopping my wife remarked, "You don't even need to own a bike to wear Chaps!"

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
glhadiator: You said the leather pants have none of the cons of chaps. One Con that you listed for chaps was they can get hot on hot days. Yet the full-out leather pants don't?

Also, aren't they a bit heavy?

Part of me wants to buy them and part of me doesn't. After all, if I get any sexier than I am already, I will become a serious safety hazard (distraction) for all the female drivers within eyesight of me.

That is, until they see the top of my bald head........

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe it is a matter of personal preference. There are pros and cons for each. I have ridden with both and currently riding in Joe Rocket jacket and pants with all the armor. I believe pants give you more flexibility to layer. What ever your choice always ride with your protective gear. PS There is a pair of chaps listed on eBay, make me a offer.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, let’s just say I don’t like chaps...looking into armored riding jeans now

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You know, I've got a pair of Dragon Jeans downstairs hanging in a closet that I had completely forgotten about. I bought them years back when my... um...... circumference was less than it is today. In fact, I only wore them once.

I got another 15 lbs or so to drop before I can fit into those things again.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a set. Tried 'em a few times, don't much care for them. They're good for protection against low-flying debris, but they're hot and bind on my excessively generous thighs.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wear OSI mesh armor pants & jacket. Fit over jeans winter, shorts or just boxers summer. Real protection, cool & comfy. As far as sexy, we'll let's just say the surprise is inside. Hit the pavement just once & you won't ride in jeans again. 43 years, several bikes, 7 laydowns. Knowledge + experience = wisdom. I love to ride!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts