Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok. lets hear how we change to these risers. whats the secret to gaining access to the existing handlebar riser bolts to loosen them up so I can remove them. im sure there has to be a trick to get them off . I turned the bars to the far right and left but there isn't much room to work. what tool combination is every one using to accomplish this goal? I know it can be done without removing the whole fairing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
There's a cir-clip under the nut as I recall?

After they're off, deep well sockets will do the trick, with a breaker bar (maybe wrapped in a rag) and fed out the gap between fairing and lower... Then manipulate the bars / steering to loosen the nut. It helps with that bit if the bike's on a jack.

Alternatively do it the way the V2K owners do... Take the bars off, clamp something in each riser individually, and turn that instead of the nut.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I've heard that some people use a really long socket extension.
I tried using my extensions and a U-joint adapter; but couldn't get a good bite on the nut.
So, I just took the triple tree off.
There is a process to getting everything lined back up correctly; but it works.

Peg is right; there is a clip you gotta remove first.

Scott

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the idea of twisting them off from the top by clamping something in the riser.i have some old handelbars I could cut to do this .ill put a cheater inside the cut bars and turn them from the top. thanks for the ideas guys.i already have the clips out of the way.:)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I like the idea of twisting them off from the top by clamping something in the riser.i have some old handelbars I could cut to do this .ill put a cheater inside the cut bars and turn them from the top. thanks for the ideas guys.i already have the clips out of the way.:)
I was concerned about getting them aligned and tightened when I re-installing them.
Let us know how it works out.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts