Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow V2K lovers, has anyone changed their own rear tire? Going to the darkside and neither of my local MC shops will touch it. I have a co-worker with a tire changer but he's out of town. I think I have everything I need except dynabeads for balancing, will pick those up tomorrow. What did you use to break the bead? All of the bead breakers only work for up to 160 tires.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tire Changer

For those of us who would like to use a machine.

Does anyone own a tire changer and how do they like theirs? How much did you pay for it?

Just had a rear tire mounted on the front and my shop said I was the first and last to get a CT mounted. They told a story of a guy who wanted a tire mounted that needed a tube and the guy said he just bought the one he had and did not want a new tube installed. The tube blew 2 days later and the rider was seriously injured. In court they showed the work order that had comments all over of their recommendations to use a new tube and the customer declining. The judge asked what the motorcycle manufacturer recommended and that was all he wanted to hear. The shop lost the law suit and exists no more.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Find a tire shop that will at least break the bead for you. Thats the hardest thing to get done. It will have to be a machine that does it on the side of the machine. Then you can use long tire irons to get the tire back on. I had a friend that owns a service center do mine. He could not mount it on his machine, because of the protruding hub, but was able to quickly break the beads. He the laid it on the ground (on a piece of cardboard) and we had the tire on manually in about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks RRKR, I think I found everything I need to complete the job. I just need to find the time. Hopefully I'll get it done today or tomorrow. I think I've finally completed the honey doo list.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's official, I've completed the tire change. I took it for a short 20 mile ride and it feels great, can't wait til we have another warm day so I can put some miles on it, I started out at 35 psi and it feels great. It's a different feel but not bad. I'm running the Michelin Hydroedge 205/65/16.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts