Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their steering bearings with tapered bearings ? If so, do you have a part number for them ?

·
Banned
155 Posts
i don't remember the number, but when i change them, i changed them the all balls bearings...do a google search with a cross reference to kawi steering bearings

·
Registered
419 Posts
All Balls tapered bearings for the Vulcan 1700 22-1039.

http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html

Got into quite a "discussion" between lubing existing ball bearings or replace them with tapered at the time of normal maintenance.

Personally if I'm going to take the time and effort to pull the triple apart I'd replace them with much better bearings.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I greased my steering stem bearings this weekend. It took me a little longer than two hours, but I was taking my time. Also, I had to remove the front fairing, so that took a little longer than I expected. The worst part was getting the stem back up into the neck. Next time I'll remove the front tire to make the front end easier to pick up.

The bearings were lightly greased, and I mean lightly, from the factory, but they did not look worn. Maybe the next time I have the front end apart I'll put the tapered bearings in there. For now I loaded the factory bearings with grease and now I have more peace of mind. I also have the confidence that comes from having done the work myself.

On another day this weekend I greased the swing arm bearings. That was not so bad, and again I now know it was done and done right.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
why replace what isn't bad?? you can just lube then in an hour or so without taking the whole front of the bike apart...I did it in under 2 hours my first time and prob. do it again in an hour the 2nd... full instructions on the A.V.A. forum with pics....easy http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5329&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
I clicked on the link but couldn't see the post, then joined the Ava then found out it meant nothing couldn't see a thing unless I paid money, it seems like a con to me anyone care to enlighten me on this AVA mob

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I clicked on the link but couldn't see the post, then joined the Ava then found out it meant nothing couldn't see a thing unless I paid money, it seems like a con to me anyone care to enlighten me on this AVA mob
The American Voyager Association started over 25 years ago and is a family oriented organization dedicated to those who voyage the hiways and biways of America. They have a national rally every year in a different location and regional rallys. They have a lot of Kawasaki support and this past year the Vulcan Nation Demo Tour was at 3 of their rallies.

The AVA is more than an online forum. So, Con it is not.

The Vulcanforums is sustained by all the banner ads that you see and donations from users and the spyware that snoops your computer to provide banner ads you might actually click on. This forum tends to attract more complainers regarding Kawasaki motorcycles than all the other Kawasaki related forums I visit.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
The American Voyager Association started over 25 years ago and is a family oriented organization dedicated to those who voyage the hiways and biways of America. They have a national rally every year in a different location and regional rallys. They have a lot of Kawasaki support and this past year the Vulcan Nation Demo Tour was at 3 of their rallies.

The AVA is more than an online forum. So, Con it is not.

The Vulcanforums is sustained by all the banner ads that you see and donations from users and the spyware that snoops your computer to provide banner ads you might actually click on. This forum tends to attract more complainers regarding Kawasaki motorcycles than all the other Kawasaki related forums I visit.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Good to understand what is behind the front page of the AVA, makes parting with the association fees easy when you know it isn't yet another scam that seem to be everywhere these days.

·
Registered
64 Posts
tires have been the biggest issue with the f/e wobble i am going back to the oe front tire pretty quick here ... the dunlop E3 if not a good tire for the front .. putting an excedra max on in the next month

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just had a metzler 880 installed on the front and have about 600 miles on it. I have the tire inflated to 40psi. It has a terrible wobble. If its the tire I hope it wears soon and the wobble lessens.

·
Registered
63 Posts
why replace what isn't bad?? you can just lube then in an hour or so without taking the whole front of the bike apart...I did it in under 2 hours my first time and prob. do it again in an hour the 2nd... full instructions on the A.V.A. forum with pics....easy http://www.amervoyassoc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5329&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Bring up an old thread, I know.

I'm just wondering if you could share that information on here or on VBA for those of us who don't ride Voyagers or aren't AVA members.

·
Registered
494 Posts
When I changed tires from stock to mich comm II had a wobble in 200 miles changed the head bearings to all balls tappered bearings and no more wobble gone that quick. worked on my bike.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just had same bearings as IL veqero put in my bike. I pick it up in the am will let you know if it solves the wobble.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just had same bearings as IL veqero put in my bike. I pick it up in the am will let you know if it solves the wobble.

Kawi rider,
When to pick up the bike today let me know how it turns out text me at 618-335-0445 I know it will be fixed and you will be happy it will even turn easier. I hope to have my there by thursday for the PCV/IGN and he will have you come back at 350 miles to retoqure the head bearings. I hope theres enough miles on my to do that while its there Good Luck.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Just servicing the front end caused the bike to turn easier so not really a function of going to the tapered bearings. I am staying with the Excedra Max tires on the front and no wobble.

I guess if you are paying a dealer to service the front bearings you might as well spend the extra few $ and put in the tapered bearings. I didn't want to mess with changing out the races until they are worn.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Just picked nike up road 35 miles home no wobble. All the way from 65 mph to 10 mph hands off the bars no wobble! Bearings are the way to go !

·
Registered
494 Posts
stearing head bearings

New Kawi Rider,
I am glad to here that the stearing head bearings stoped the wobble the same as on mine.Two wheel addict if you would have changed to the all balls tappered bearings it would be yhe last set you would ever have to change. But it is you bike and your diccision on what you want ot do to it and I respect that. I hope when the time comes to change you go with the all balls tappered bearings good luck with yours and many miles of safe riding. B Cope.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ok here we go....Jack up the bike and make it safe....throw some towles on the gas tank and remove the handle bar clamps....lay the bars on the tank....keep a jack or some boards under the front tire

2 sockets you will need...craftsman 12 pt 36 mm 1/2 "drive and stubby 6mm 1/4" drive

loosen the 2 clamps and remove the 36mm nut and flat washer...pull off the top of the tripletree and use a pick and pop out the upper bearing and inner race.....note the lack of grease on the bearings!!!!

lower the front wheel 4-5 inches to expose the lower bearing

clean off all the old grease and lube the bearings up with some mobil 1 synthetic..put some extra grease above the lower bearing

have a helper(aka the wife) help lift up the front wheel and put boards or jack back in place....then have helper hold wheel so you can slip on the regreased upper bearing and then reassemble the steering...torque the big nut to 80 ft/lbs
I figure with the synthetic grease and putting some extra in there this should last 4 yrs or another 30k miles
took me 1 1/2 hours start to finish...happy riding
sorry no pics....i have trouble posting them here

1 - 20 of 20 Posts