Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who. Would of thought changing the oil would be such a pain in the ass 1/3 of an hour later and a short drive and I'm wiping oil off of the entire side of the bike. The dip stick says almost full and I only put in just 3 quarts of oil looks like I missed some thing now it looks like I have to drain the almost 11 dollar a quart am soil out and find a happy place where it won't spray oil all over every thing any one have some advise....and what is the black cap right below the dip stick ...is that where I was supposed to pour the oil??? I have never had this kind of trouble and I have ouned hundreds of motors...any way gotta go wiper down again....thanks for the help....

Sent from my AT100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
You have to much oil in there.

If you over fill the bike, it will blow oil out the intake. It's not just the V2K, it's a lot of bikes.

for the V2K, when you check the oil, the bike has to be warmed up AND the bike MUST be level.

If the bike is on the kickstand (leaning), it will read very low, when it's actually full.

that black cap is the coolant.

Read this thread, it will cheer you up (and teach you about the V2K oil change)

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23883

:)

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Does the 3 quarts account for the oil filter? You made no mention of changing the oil filter? Just asking.....
My bike holds 3.4 quarts with a filter change is the reason I mention this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
3 quarts? If you added 3 quarts and the motor is overfull, then you did not get all of the old oil out.

This motor has 3 drain plugs (2 under the motor, one on the bottom of the clutch housing) make sure you remove all 3. The motor uses some sort of multi chamber dry sump so removing all plugs is a must.

Also while checking the oil level, this beast is a PIA. Warm the motor, and by warm, it means idle....do NOT touch/rev the throttle, and as Smed mentioned, bike MUST be level.

I've done a couple of changes now and it's 5.5 qt out, 5.5 qt in gets me smack dead in the middle of the crosshatch on the dipstick.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm betting all three plugs weren't pulled. Especially if only three quarts were added. Is this on a 2000? I buy the Walmart brand oil and filter, don't remember right off who it's made by. Just buy the five qt. jug and filter, drain, replace, done.

·
Registered
659 Posts
"when you say Walmart brand is that Walmart 10-40 oil or does walmart bottle a motorcycle oil?"

I honestly don't remember, I keep a empty jug in the garage so I'll remember to get the same thing every time. I'm pretty sure it's 10-40 but I did a bunch of research after my very first oil change (bike had 12K when I purchased it) My first oil change was done with oil that had the additive in it, my other bike doesn't share engine oil so I was a newb. The clutch slipped a little so I started my research. Seems the walmart badged oil was additive free and I've been using it for over 10K miles now without a hiccup. I'll inspect the jug tonight and post what it is. But no, it's not motorcycle specific.

·
Registered
659 Posts
SuperTech 20W-50 is what I've been using. That's what all the research I did pointed me to because everything I know about oil would not fill a thimble. I don't get into debating oil because that's one of those things that everyone has an opinion on and they're always right. That's what I use, I've never had any problems and that's my story and I'm sticking to it:)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Kawa synthetic, change every 5k miles, Ponch says 5qts out and 5 in > so far in 4 years of hard riding i have managed to never ck my oil. bd

·
Registered
81 Posts
SuperTech 20W-50 is what I've been using. That's what all the research I did pointed me to because everything I know about oil would not fill a thimble. I don't get into debating oil because that's one of those things that everyone has an opinion on and they're always right. That's what I use, I've never had any problems and that's my story and I'm sticking to it:)
Thanks for the feed back man.

I totally agree on the opinion thingy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts