Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I really wanted to get a good intake, but can't swing it right now. And with a decent sized ride coming up, I didn't want to have to get gas. Hoping to make it round trip. Its only 120 miles. I have been getting 140 per tank, and thats only putting 3.5 gal in. So I could go further. But with rides sometimes parade stuff goes slow. And since it is on Sat I didn't want to wait for Uni-foam to do the Mod. Plus finding the time to do the mod. So I painfully shelled out the 36 bucks for a factory. I did remove the screen though. So I guess I will see what I can get for mileage.

Before I did this I didn't think my filter was all that dirty. Then I compared the two.

That was sitting on the counter.

Then I decided to hold them up to my bathroom lights, which are really freakin bright. Wow. What a difference. Not sure if it was original or not. But if it was. Thats what 13k miles look like.

I do like on the new one they used a screw that has an allen head instead of a phillips. Which is great, cuz why should you have to have two tools to the job. You need an allen for the cover screws, why have to look for another tool.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Uni Foam will make a big difference and it takes less than a 1/2 hour. A rotozip will make fast work out of relocating the airbox inlet under the idle screw. I've been in rain a few times, 6 hours straight once, and had no water problems since the airbox has a drain hole and the exhaust pipe catches most of the rain anyway.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uni Foam will make a big difference and it takes less than a 1/2 hour. A rotozip will make fast work out of relocating the airbox inlet under the idle screw. I've been in rain a few times, 6 hours straight once, and had no water problems since the airbox has a drain hole and the exhaust pipe catches most of the rain anyway.
Yeah plan to do that. It might be a winter project, cuz I hate to be without a bike. And it seems like any project I start on I run into complications and don't get to ride that weekend. I know doing the Uni-foam will be easy, its cutting the hole. I don't want to screw it up so I was planning on removing the airbox so I can use the back side hole for a pattern.

You only get 140 miles out of 3.5 gallons on a 900????
Exactly. Sucks. If I knew it was going to get that bad of mileage I woulda got the 1500 nomad I was looking at.

I really think that this will help. Only other thing I haven't checked yet is plugs. Haven't looked in the manuel to see how to get at them easily. My 750 was nice cuz they pointed sideways.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I don't know what kind of setup you're running, but I have Cobra pipes, Ness intake, and the Cobra FI2000r set at 2-2-1. I don't do any high speed running....usually between 60-70 on main highway, and around 50 cruising the back roads. I can run 200 miles on 3.5gal set that way. You definitely were ready for an air filter change. If you haven't done so, I suggest adding some Seafoam to the tank.

To get at your plugs, remove the bolts at the rear of the tank and it will tilt up/forward. Block it up with a piece of 2x4. Use the wrench in the toolkit and you should be able to get at your plugs with no trouble.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yeah plan to do that. It might be a winter project, cuz I hate to be without a bike. And it seems like any project I start on I run into complications and don't get to ride that weekend. I know doing the Uni-foam will be easy, its cutting the hole. I don't want to screw it up so I was planning on removing the airbox so I can use the back side hole for a pattern.
Rotozip is easy since the plastic is fairly soft. The rubber boot from the original inlet will hide any imperfections. Cut the hole slightly smaller and finish with a file - it only takes a few minutes:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rotozip is easy since the plastic is fairly soft. The rubber boot from the original inlet will hide any imperfections. Cut the hole slightly smaller and finish with a file - it only takes a few minutes:

what did you do to the front chrome part of the cover? no 900 insignia and the slots?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Slotted air box cover is from HD, $55. Fits perfect over the cheesy stocker. Drill one hole and use locktite on the screw. The cover has a black dish behind the slots giving it a functional look.

Hole in back of the airbox I used a piece of gutter (3-1/2" x 2") and two 1/8" aluminum rivets. I was going to completely redo the box but figured I better leave it in tact. The rubber insert directs the air right to the air filter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Slotted air box cover is from HD, $55. Fits perfect over the cheesy stocker. Drill one hole and use locktite on the screw. The cover has a black dish behind the slots giving it a functional look.

Hole in back of the airbox I used a piece of gutter (3-1/2" x 2") and two 1/8" aluminum rivets. I was going to completely redo the box but figured I better leave it in tact. The rubber insert directs the air right to the air filter.
Ahh, how about rain. It seems like it would suck it right into the element. Any problems w/ that Baitis?

·
Registered
263 Posts

Did you run it with the back open? If so, was there a difference? I have the front hole complete, but left the back open and I have seen a big difference in sound and response.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I ran it with the back open for about 6 month's. I have a temp meter that I wanted to put in the airbox and play with various configurations for cooler air but I have very little free time until late fall. It's actually only been about 100 miles since I closed it off - still boating and not riding much. I blocked off the oe opening hoping to keep air force fed to the filter rather than exiting right out the back side. Winter project is to change the contours inside the air box. Rain doesn't seem to be a problem, I suspect it just hits the opposite side of the airbox and drops down to the drain hole. I rode from New York to Baltimore for 6 hours in some nasty weather and traffic and didn't notice have any issues, at least not with the engine. Small amounts of water won't hurt engines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts