Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to change the spark plugs on by 900 classic lt. Does any body have pictures of how to tale off the gas tank and perform this procedure. I thought I seen it on here once.
Also, my tread on my back tire is bald right in the middle but closer to the sides is good, should I get a new tire? it has about 11000 miles on it

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'll let the other guys answer about the plugs, i haven't done that yet... too new.
As far as the tire is concerned: yes, replace it. You'll be suprised when you see the amount of rubber on the new tire compared to your bald one and how nice it feels to drive on.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll let the other guys answer about the plugs, i haven't done that yet... too new.
As far as the tire is concerned: yes, replace it. You'll be suprised when you see the amount of rubber on the new tire compared to your bald one and how nice it feels to drive on.
Thanks for the comeback, got an appointment tom

·
Registered
533 Posts
Go to the rear of the tank and remove the bolts, then just tilt the tank forward and block it up with a piece of wood. YOu should be able to reach the plugs using the provided wrench. As for the tire, invest a couple of bucks in a tread depth gauge. At 2mm of tread, the manual says you're good for speeds up to 80 mph. However, once you reach that depth, the rest wears kinda quick. If you have a narrow strip right in the middle of the rear, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of roads with twists/turns?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to the rear of the tank and remove the bolts, then just tilt the tank forward and block it up with a piece of wood. YOu should be able to reach the plugs using the provided wrench. As for the tire, invest a couple of bucks in a tread depth gauge. At 2mm of tread, the manual says you're good for speeds up to 80 mph. However, once you reach that depth, the rest wears kinda quick. If you have a narrow strip right in the middle of the rear, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of roads with twists/turns?
Nope, not to many roads like that in Indiana. You don't have to remove the speadometer at all? Ok I'll try it , thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
plugs

why lift the tank? Changed mine 5 times --just pull the wire off, (carefully) change the plugs---be sure to check / set gap---antisieze on the plug threads works well--don't get the anti seize on the electrode

shortdog

·
Registered
441 Posts
why lift the tank? Changed mine 5 times --just pull the wire off, (carefully) change the plugs---be sure to check / set gap---antisieze on the plug threads works well--don't get the anti seize on the electrode

shortdog
Just letting others know that a little anti-seize goes a long way. Don't brush it on until you can't see threads. Just a little drop and wipe it around. I rarely use it anymore to be honest.

·
Registered
941 Posts
get iridium plugs too. They should be the last plugs you would put in this bike. Get a Metzeler ME880 tire. I love mine. Had them on my last two bikes, they cost more, but they last longer and have good traction. I don't know how big you can go on this bike. I would like to move up to 200. I have heard of guys going with 230 but they have do a fender mod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts