Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I have been thinking about making a move to a bigger ride, something that is more tour with more power. I figure if you are going to step up why not just go for it and grab the bull by the horns, so we are checking out the vn2k. Since we love and have been riding our 2000 vn800a for years now it of course will be a radical change, but I wanted everyone's opinion (yeah I asked for it) on the move. Any ideas or advice ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
So my wife and I have been thinking about making a move to a bigger ride, something that is more tour with more power. I figure if you are going to step up why not just go for it and grab the bull by the horns, so we are checking out the vn2k. Since we love and have been riding our 2000 vn800a for years now it of course will be a radical change, but I wanted everyone's opinion (yeah I asked for it) on the move. Any ideas or advice ?
If you are looking for a bike to tour with, why not go for the Voyager or Nomad?

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you are looking for a bike to tour with, why not go for the Voyager or Nomad?
Good point. The Voyager is already set up for touring, nothing to do but ride. I have spent months getting my V2K set up for touring, and although it has been fun, it has also been frustrating. There isn't a trunk sized for the V2K (all of the one's I have seen on the Beasts look undersized to me), so I fabbed one. Radios and comms are add-on, etc. A friend bought a Voyager and he and his wife love touring. He rides his V2K on local runs. Keep the 800 for commuting and pick a Voyager for distances.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Depends on what you call touring.

I don't have a radio and see no need for one. I listen to music all the time, I don't need to on the bike. I love the sound of the wind and the motor.

I got a small trunk for mine when we go on short trips and a trailer to pull when we go on long ones.

The V2K is a fine bike. Just replace that stock seat if you do long miles.

I put an ultimate on mine. Love it!

33K miles. The longest trip I have taken so far was a 9 day trip up and around lake superior last summer.
2500 miles in 9 days. Pulled the trailer and had the trunk.

Below is a pic from that trip. This pic is in front of Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah you guys are right and we have defiantly considered this route. We or I have been having a hard time making the move from the chopper style bike to a more touring machine. Maybe it is just the young version of me trying not to let go of the hot rod. Mentioned keeping the 800 as well as getting a cruiser to my wife (I got the look), so that's not really a practical idea.:( We have been looking at the Voyager, we love the looks and all the amenities. Still trying to consider a lot of options but we really appreciate advice from everyone.

·
Registered
659 Posts
As much as I love my 2000 I have to agree with everyone else about the Voyager. I do short trips with my daughter and I have soft Cortech bags and a sissy bar backpack that works just fine but we're not gone more than four days at a time. Dadinator has the right idea for touring with a 2000. I'd consider a trailer if I had a place to put it. If you want a big touring bike have you considered the Rocket III touring bike? I was actually looking for one when I found my Vulcan. 2400cc's is going to pull anything you can hook to it.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I love my V2K, and don't get me wrong when I say it but If i was to do major touring with me and my wife, I would consider a different bike. Not because of any maintenance issues or anything else. It is because there are other bike out there better suited for touring.

The biggest issue for me is the rear seat. My is tall. she can sit comfortably on it but the passenger sits up HIGH compared to the driver.

Also if you are looking at price. It don't take long to add up the cost by the time you equip a V2K equally to that of a voyager like bike.

But if you are open to the idea of a trailer, as mentioned above. You will have a bike that will pull it with EASE. These bikes are pretty peppy (for a cruiser) but they are torque monsters. You will yank a trailer around anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts