Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing Oil Is there anything to worry about or remember.I see myself as mechanically inclined and im changing oil for first time on my bike 900 custom 09 The first service was done by dealer and instead of payin 180 dollars for my 4000 mile service im atleast goin to change my oil myself Is there a certain torque to put on the oil plug?????

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
First off.. When you remove the plug, be careful that you don't misplace the washer. Mine fell into the oil and i didn't see it. The bike WILL leak if you don't have the washer in place.
I didn't "torque" the plug when i put it back in, just snugged it up good.
Also, i found it helpful to have the cap type oil filter wrench. Sorry, i forgot the part number.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
The dealer may have tightened the filter way too tight also, so see if you can loosen it when you have the correct filter wrench. You will need to remove the voltage regulator and mount first to get to the filter. Once the oil is drained and the drain plug installed, spread a little grease on the gasket of the new filter, then partially fill the filter with oil before installing it. Just slowly pour oil through the center hole, allow it to settle a couple of minutes and add a little more. Try to get it about half full. Make sure the filter mount is clean, then quickly get the filter started onto the mount and run it down until the gasket contacts the mount. You should be able to do it without losing any oil. Just make sure the filter turns easily on the threads-don't force it! Tighten the filter by hand about 3/4 turn more, or about as tight as you can get it by hand. Reinstall the regulator and mount; don't over-tighten the little bolts. Pour in the remainder of the quart of oil that you used for the filter, and then another two and 3/4 quarts. Tighten the filler cap and start the engine. Don't go above idle until the oil pressure light goes out. Check for leaks. Stop the engine, level the bike and let it settle for about ten minutes, and see if the oil level is between the two marks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Do a search on this, or the other kawi site. There is a detailed step by step with pictures.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Wally world sells a oil cap wrench that will fit the MC filter. Then it's an easy off-on application....

·
Registered
782 Posts
I don't think anyone above mentioned this, but there is a litte oil screen that is in the side of the engine near the lower frame rail. You remove the cap with a hex wrench and reach inside with your finger to pull out the test tube shaped screen, a washer and spring. A lot of dealers don't know about this screen, but it is there to help catch and big pieces of metal. So far, I've cleaned it twice and found nothing. But it is not bad to check it. I think I've even read that some people drain the oil at this location per it is actually lower than the plug when the bike is on the kickstand. Anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The video below this guy did leaves out a couple of important steps (like reinstalling the oil drain plug) but it DOES do a good job of showing how simple the process is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Great how to, on the oil change. I read in the service manual , that you should replace the metal gasket on the oil plug with each change. I don,t know if you have to, but it is recommended. As far as exhaust pipes go, I really like Cobra extra long. Not real loud, unless you get on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts