Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of changing my stock Bridgestone tires on my 2012 Vulcan classic.
Do most of you keep the stock tires? I think if I get a different brand tire I'll get better traction.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I've changed from stock for better wear, as most do. Many believe the Commander IIs give both better wear and traction. I tried Milestones once on my 800, great ride and handling, but rear was done in less than 5000 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Changing bridgestone tires

Thanks for the info. I have wide white walls on my bridgestones now, but they don't have them in any other brand. I might have to switch to black walls.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been looking for a set of whitewalls in a different brand for awhile now. Rear tire on mine is at 5700 miles and is about done.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went with the Pirelli Night Dragons when I replaced the front and back tires on my bike early this spring, and I have been very happy with the ride and grip they give me. Bike feels more planted and grip has been exceptional in many different riding situations. I don't know how long they will last, but i have about 5k miles on them and they are going strong. I would say I am only about a 1/3 through the back tire, and the front tire still looks new. I waffled between the Metzler tires and the Night Dragons, but my mechanic broke the stalemate by recommending the Pirellis. I have not regretted the choice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changing tires

I use to have perelli's on a Suzuki intruder I use to have, and must say they were the best. I might go with the Metzelers for the white walls, and will have to go with a 170 rear tire instead of the 180.:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have several riding buddies that swear by the Metzelers, so I don't think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I switched from Pirelli RT 66's (that I was getting about 6,500 miles out of the rear tire) to Commander II's. The Commander II rear tire currently has about 8,300 miles on it (I'm running the 170/80 oversized rear) and it is gonna be good for about another 300 miles since it is smooth down the middle now. Any further than that I won't feel comfortable at highway speeds of 75 mph. I was really hoping to get 10,000 miles out of it but like most tires when it got down to the last 20% it started going wearing really fast. It definitely handles well though. I hear tales of people getting 15,000 miles out of these tires but the roads they ride on must be made of butter or something because I get no where near that.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It must be the cooler climate, but I get 11-13k out of my Dunlop 404's (rear). Wear on the front set 14-16k.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have found that the Dunlops only last about 5000 miles.

Both Bridgestone and Metzler have been recommended to me by both bike shops and other Vulcan riders. I have switched back and forth between Bridgestone and Metzler several times. Both brands seem to last about 10k-12k miles with Metzler being a slightly longer lasting tire.

Riding on new set of tires after replacing the worn out ones is always a wonderful feeling, the bike just handles better with round tires. However, when I consider hard cornering and hard braking, I think I like the feel of the Bridgestone better than the Metzler.

YMMV

Larry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts