Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tough of a job is it exactly to change the HLA's in the 1600's? Do you need to remove the cams or mess with taking the engine out of it's timing. Anything I hate is to mess around getting the cams back correct in time in a bike engine. Had to do it a couple times on my Harley Sportsters but never did anything like that yet on these Vulcans. Just give me a quick run down from start to finish of what needs to be done to get to them and change them out.:confused:

·
Banned
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The short version, engine will have to be dropped from mounts, or best to remove for ease of access. Cams do not have to be removed nor will timing be effected.
I have been doing some research in a few spots online but none of the sites really give you a step by step and the service manual is very misleading on it too. I found one place that said it can be done by dropping the front mounting bolts on the engine to tip it forward enough to get the clearance needed to get it done. Most say to change the filters too but I plan on drilling them out as some others have done. Looks easy enough as they pop out with pliers but I never had covers off one so that is why I was asking. You think someone would have done a you tube video on it already as everyone seems to get the clicking valves on these.:(

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
I am in the process of doing a rebuild on one of these engines right now. Removed it yesterday and when I removed the valve cover and rocker arms from the rear cylinder, I found there was only one filter. Spring was there but no filter. Engine does not appear to have ever been into before. Checked the cam journals and they are perfect.
If you have questions about the procedure, I am in a good position to answer them while I am building this engine. Will be splitting the cases as it has a clunking noise in 3rd gear
only. Will be interesting to see how the transmission looks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.