Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my garage is 22x23, got 4 of those dual 40w florescent tube fixtures in the ceiling, so 8 tubes total @ 40 watts each, plus there's 1 dual 40w flor. fix. hanging over a work bench, so 80 watts there, and I want more light, so I'm thinking of replacing all of the ceiling florescent tube fixtures and installing 4 - 13" round 1800 lumen LED fixtures. I think 1800 lumens is = a 120 watt incondescent bulb. Would 4 of those 1800 lumen LEDs in my garage be too bright?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Check earthled.com. Keep your old tube fixtures and buy the LED replacement bulbs. Universal fit ones are around $12 each. And you can choose which Lumen output you want. They have several different options. 1000bulbs.com is another good site.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
I'm getting ready to redo my garage. You know I sleep and eat in my house but I live in my garage. I have a fridge(for the adult beverages)my cigars and cable TV and of course my bike is there. So that's where I spend a lot of time. So when I work on my bike I need a lot of light.

·
Registered
394 Posts
...Would 4 of those 1800 lumen LEDs in my garage be too bright?
I have a similar-sized garage with a total of six fixtures, compared to your five and, quite frankly, there has never once been a time that I turned the lights on and though to myself, "Wow, I sure wish I had less light in here!" My philosophy is more (fixtures and/or lumens) is almost always better when it comes to garage lighting.

As to the previous suggestion to investigate direct-replacement LED bulbs, it is a good one, particularly if your existing fixtures have a compatible ballast.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok I just put 1 of the new 1800 Lumen LEDs up in the ceiling and I like it, it's not too bright, so will go ahead and remove the other florescent tube fixture and install another 1800 Lumen LED

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,907 Posts
My garage had 2 of those florescent bulb fixtures. One on each "side"

I took them down a few years ago and put LED fixtures in their place. MUCH brighter than the florescent ones.. but there are times I wish it was even brighter, and I may put in some more...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what's that in there a VN2000cc? nice

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh wow, look at what you got in there, some shelving, a fridge, a tool chest, a tv, oh wow you got some man cave there

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all you need now if a couch, call over your friends, tell them to help themselves to a cold one in the fridge, watch a bit of football or hockey, and enjoy, oh wow i am jealous

·
Registered
156 Posts
One bit of advice when buying Florescent Bulbs, the come in all types of white, for the best color get the daylight bulbs, {I think that's what they're called} A really good light man can help with the types of color of florescent bulb will give you the best light. Never knew this until I was in an extended argument with a couple USDA inspectors in our plant a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, wow you keep a clean & neat fridge there , and organized, I don't have that kind of skill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts