Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've changed automotive brake pads... is the process for bikes like my 1500 similar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
yes

I've changed automotive brake pads... is the process for bikes like my 1500 similar?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
It is easier do not need to remove the Tire/ wheel. Common sense will see you through if you have done car brake pads.

Common sense is not so Common :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I prefer to take the caliper off so that I can clean the pistons. With the pistons pushed out, use cotton tipped swabs with 80+% isopropyl alcohol to clean the exposed piston surfaces as much as you can. That will help the seals and o-rings last longer and helps prevent piston freeze ups. A little extra effort for a lot of peace of mind. I do it every time I change the pads, take the tire off...

I also change the seals and o-rings ("Rubber parts of brake master cylinder and caliper") and hoses on the recommended schedule (every 4 years for the Voyager) and the fluid every 2 years max. It's not hard to do at all if you know how to do car brakes.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
remove the bolts to the caliper but don't allow it to hang down on the brake fluid line, tie some rope on the caliper to hang it on the string/rope, the caliper does come off the wheel with a bit if wiggling, uses your fingers to push the caliper pistons back in but make sure the top of your brake fluid reservoir is screwed on, then clean the caliper pad slide pins and grease it using special brake grease, if you happen to get any grease on the brake pads wash it right off with spray brake cleaner

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
1. Now is a good time to change brake fluid.
2. It is poor practice to push in pistons as this pushes gunky fluid, that likes to collect in the caliper, back through the system and into the master cylinder. Change fluid first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts