Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited my fathers Roadliner XV1900, and switched from my VN1500. Today as I went to pull into my driveway tonight something broke on it. I've posted this on the Star Bike forums as well, but the Vulcan forums are a bit more active:

I've been noticing a bit of a whine/roar noise when I let off the throttle. Well finally I'll have to figure it out. I was pulling up to my driveway, shifted to first, and had no power to the rear wheel. The engine sounds fine, gear shifting seems ok (I can go up through the gears), but when I let the clutch out I get this noise: https://goo.gl/photos/axQreMyacozYf3fq9 The speedo climbs too, but no movement.

Anyone have any thoughts? The clutch didn't feel bad.

Joel

·
Registered
127 Posts
Check the drive pulley. All bikes *can* suffer from spline failure from lack of maint / keeping the nut tight. Some fail more than others. My vintage trials bikes have loose sprockets and they are NLA.

The XV1900 is a very powerful plant, I would imagine it could make short work of the splines.

Are you decent at wrenching?

Lastly the XV1900 is known for 3rd gear failure. If that gear breaks, the teeth can float around and destroy the rest over time. This is very rare however, I have only ready about it, never seen it happen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts