Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this happen? I'm getting ready to go to Sturgis in a couple of weeks so I'm doing the once over to make sure everything is tight and up to specs. Changed oil, new air cleaner cause the original has 10,000 miles on it, and changed the plugs.......10,000 miles on them. The shop manual calls for changing the air cleaner at 12,000, but I thought what the heck. Manual calls for changing out the plugs at 7500, but Angus was running good, so I didn't bother up to this point. Anyway, since changing them out, I get a lot more popping at decel. than before. I even pulled them back out to make sure they were gaped at .03 which is the spec in the shop manual. Good power, ran up to 80 mph with no hesitation, but kind of sounded like there was an air leak from the front plug. Probably nothing, but just wanted to check if anyone else had a similar experience......By the way, the spark plug wrench that came with the tool kit worked great. Was even able to use my torque wrench to make sure that I did not strip the plugs out by going too tight......
Any info. will be greatly appreciated.....:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
popping

I assume the new plugs had crush gaskets on them and if so they should be fine. Maybe recheck the air cleaner install. Sounds as if you don't have something secure in the air intake system changing the air/fuel ratio.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Ma Kaw used a bunch of 5th graders to program the ECM's and it doesn't like changing environmental conditions. Slowly closing the throttle eliminates most problems. If you have an air leak there was probably some debris hanging around when the plugs were changed and now it's under the plug crush washer. Use an air compressor or the canned stuff to clean up before removing the plugs.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Baitis, can I ask how to accomplish slowly closing the throttle? I checked to make sure the inside of the channel that the plug fits into was clean, and I think I have the problem with a tight fit resolved. Torqued down to to 13 ft. lbs. per manual. It just sounds different....... guess I will try to put a couple hundred miles on it before leaving on the long trip. Sounds like I have a lot of valve chatter now that I didn't notice before. This is not a new bike engine, it has 11,000 miles on it, so it is good and broke in,and I thought I had heard most of the different sounds coming out of it, so this one has me concerned. Guess I'll just have to see if it gets worse or I start to lose power. Any chance I could have pinched an air hose or something when reinstalling the gas tank?

·
Registered
343 Posts
What about checking the hose's that go on top of the juggs for the extra air, they bump loose really easy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Baitis, can I ask how to accomplish slowly closing the throttle?
Plan ahead and try to slow down gradually versus snapping the throttle shut. Abruptly closing the throttle seems to make the 900 pop more.

You're probably just paranoid about the valve noise but I also didn't see about having them adjusted yet. Doubtful that anything got damaged with by the tank, but nothing you've mentioned so far requires the tank to be removed.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xcbullet was right on the money. Checked the hose on top of the juggs and sure enough it had popped loose. She is humming along now just like a new born calf, ready for the ride of rides..........which for most of you long term riders is probably not much of a big deal, but for me, I have been waiting since returning from Vietnam to buy a MC and make the ride. (Now 60!) Was tempted back in 72 to take all my mustering out pay (processed out of the Army in Seattle, cash in the last govt. paid air plane ticket, and buy a Harley for the ride home, but decided it wouldn't of been fair to my wife to be waiting in Missouri........ So I made the right choice back then, (going on our 38th anniversary) and now I'm making the right choice now to not put it off any longer. So, I want everything to be good before I start so that Murphy's law of probability of thing going wrong is diminished as much as possible........Thanks to all of the quick replies..............And if any of you are going to be in Sturgis on the 9th through the 11th, I'll be happy to buy you a beer for your help........Walt E.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would not let you buy me a beer, I will buy yours though. Thank you for your service to our country! (I know I didn't reply to your post, but I would still like to buy.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Pardon my lasp, but what Juggs? I have a similar problem. I can hear ais suction. Like to check this out.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Denis, on the top of the front cylinder (the entire cylinder bolt on is considered the jug), there is a vacuum hose the is inserted into the top of the cylinder. I knocked it off when changing the front plug, and this is what was causing my issues....... xcbullet was right on in trouble shooting the issue, and once I made sure it was reattached......perfecto again. There is a pinch clamp that is supposed to keep the hose attached, but it is not very strong, so I will be checking this from time to time after washing the engine. It would be real easy to knock this off when wiping down with a rag when drying. Especially when the sweat is running down my nose into my glasses in this 100 degree heat...... Good luck with your fix....Walt E.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey majorpain, thanks for the offer. Maybe I will see you in Sturgis and we can buy both a beer.........:)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
xcbullet was right on the money. Checked the hose on top of the juggs and sure enough it had popped loose. She is humming along now just like a new born calf, ready for the ride of rides..........which for most of you long term riders is probably not much of a big deal, but for me, I have been waiting since returning from Vietnam to buy a MC and make the ride. (Now 60!) Was tempted back in 72 to take all my mustering out pay (processed out of the Army in Seattle, cash in the last govt. paid air plane ticket, and buy a Harley for the ride home, but decided it wouldn't of been fair to my wife to be waiting in Missouri........ So I made the right choice back then, (going on our 38th anniversary) and now I'm making the right choice now to not put it off any longer. So, I want everything to be good before I start so that Murphy's law of probability of thing going wrong is diminished as much as possible........Thanks to all of the quick replies..............And if any of you are going to be in Sturgis on the 9th through the 11th, I'll be happy to buy you a beer for your help........Walt E.
Enjoy your trip, i hope that it is all and more than you expect... Safe and happy trails.:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks kawa! Have a great time in Sturgis...good things come to those you wait. Let us know how it goes. Have a brewski for me.

PS - Did you do your valve clearance check at the same time?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts