Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Vulcan S Café 2017
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'10. Have kind of short arms and long torso. I have the standard setup on the 650S. I angled the bars down as far as I can without smashing the tank to get them closer to me. I came from an offroad bike so I'm used to sitting straight but had a Honda sporttouring bike before that. I am wondering if I might like reduced reach bars better or not. I am kind of sceptical of the changed grip angle and would just like to move the bars closer like an inch or something. Feels like it's right now just on the edge of what would be most comfortable. I feel like I'm reaching a little bit.

Any suggestions of risers maybe to not have to replace the bars and get the weird grip angle? I have seen some threads here about it and seems like there might be clearance issues with risers unless you get the right ones and it's all products from outside of EU so not sure and what I should get. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would raise bars just so the controls are parallel the return cable metal sleeve should easily clear the tank. That position was most comfortable for me. The closer the controls to midline the more control you will have over the motorcycle.

My vote try it, it’s the cost of a reduced rod; you can always go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Vulcan S Café 2017
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have them at the point where they are as close to me as possible. Everything just clears the tank. I am just thinking since Kawasaki says below 5’6 is recommended for reduced reach bar. Also the angle of the grips. I like the current angle. I wonder if moving the clutch grip is easy or if it’s glued and needs to be cut off?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm 5'6 and the reduced reach bars are perfect for me. They don't have any weird angles or what not and they feel great.

·
Registered
Vulcan S Café 2017
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 5'6 and the reduced reach bars are perfect for me. They don't have any weird angles or what not and they feel great.
Yeah I can understand that but my concern is that I'm 5'10 so not in the reduced reach recommended height. I'm worried that if I buy the reduced bars and do all the swapping that it will be to narrow for me. I think the reach would be good but the handlebar angled is narrower and I like the current width. Gonna ride some more when the weather gets better and see if I get used to it or if I should swap.

Anyone who has done the swap themselves, was there any issues getting the grips off? I read somewhere here that it was glued on. If so, then I should prepare a new one beforehand.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
842 Posts
I am 5'9 and have standard reach everything and fi d it all comfortable however may have slightly longer arms and that's why. Maybe instead of swapping bars you could try the reduced reach seat to push you closer in that manner...just trying to think outside the box

·
Registered
Vulcan S Café 2017
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered the reduced reach handlebar from Kawasaki dealer and will replace it when it arrives.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ordered the reduced reach handlebar from Kawasaki dealer and will replace it when it arrives.
As far as width goes, I don't really see any difference between the standard reach and short reach handlebars. The dealer gave me the standard reach handlebars separately after they swapped in the reduced reach, and I just held it up to the reduced reach bars that are installed and they seem about the same width.

·
Registered
Vulcan S Café 2017
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as width goes, I don't really see any difference between the standard reach and short reach handlebars. The dealer gave me the standard reach handlebars separately after they swapped in the reduced reach, and I just held it up to the reduced reach bars that are installed and they seem about the same width.
Might be hard to tell but there is a difference in width due to the bars being "bent" inwards more. If you measure the distance between barends you will see it. I just want a more upright position so looking forward to trying the reduced reach ones.

·
Registered
Vulcan S Café 2017
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did replace the stock bars with reduced reach. They are indeed angled inwards way more and it is very noticable. The wrists are clearly not in a straight line anymore. Nothing that hurts my wrists or anything but I prefer the standard handlebar angle. The bars are a bit closer but not a huge difference tbh. The major difference is in the angle of the grips. I have been riding a few times since the swap and got used to the new angle but a little disappointed in the reach difference not being that noticeable. I have them installed at stock angle, there is a small indentation on the bars that aligns with bottom left of handlebar mount.

I can add that the bars come with left grip already installed and also new stripes and bolts for handlebar ends.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did replace the stock bars with reduced reach. They are indeed angled inwards way more and it is very noticable. The wrists are clearly not in a straight line anymore. Nothing that hurts my wrists or anything but I prefer the standard handlebar angle. The bars are a bit closer but not a huge difference tbh. The major difference is in the angle of the grips. I have been riding a few times since the swap and got used to the new angle but a little disappointed in the reach difference not being that noticeable. I have them installed at stock angle, there is a small indentation on the bars that aligns with bottom left of handlebar mount.

I can add that the bars come with left grip already installed and also new stripes and bolts for handlebar ends.
I see, didn't realize the main difference is the angle. The reduced reach do seem angled a little bit inwards. I wonder now if I would have preferred the standard. I'll never know at this point...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts