Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running Amsoil, and would like to change just the filter. If I remove the filter with the crankcase full, will the oil pour out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I knew a guy that used Mobil1 in his truck and would change his filter only. He parked it on a steep incline so no oil would come out. I think unless you did this somehow you would lose some, not all, but some.

·
Registered
711 Posts
^^+1 but it will have to be a very steep ramp.
You should be fine with that filter till next oil change.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah you'll lose just a little. I had to do this after my last oil change that I did at home, but the dealer-mounted filter just would not budge for me... so I took it in for filter removal and replacement at a trusted shop with the crankcase full of new oil. I don't think we lost more than a few ounces. The sight glass was still at the midpoint when I rode it home.

One tip is to take a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it over the coil and everything below the filter to keep oil off the bike as it dribbles out.

·
Registered
455 Posts
One tip is to take a piece of aluminum foil and wrap it over the coil and everything below the filter to keep oil off the bike as it dribbles out.
IMHO, Amssoil isn't worth saving........:)

But, I do use a small baby diaper below the filter, catches and retains any seepage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
if you use amsoil filter on your bike..you shouldnt have to replace it until the oil is ready to come out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts