Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Never done brake pads before on a motorcycle and I'm not sure if it's time to change them or not. This is my first time really examining them closely on my EN500 LTD (I usually have to get it inspected every year but didn't this year). Looking at them now, I can see there's a decent amount of material left, but there's also a metal clip or bracket holding the pad onto the caliper that seems it will hit the rotor before the pad is completely worn. I'll try to post a picture but it's hard to see.

Image is blurry - hard to focus down into the slot - but I labeled it below.

Is this normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
you better change out those pads for new ones

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
whenever you have brake pad doubt, always always change them for new ones

·
Registered
83 Posts
That part of the metal clip will squeal when the pads reach their limit of use, time to replace when you hear it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That part of the metal clip will squeal when the pads reach their limit of use, time to replace when you hear it.
I wondered if that was what it was -- so it won't damage the rotor? I haven't heard any squealing yet.

I'll order new ones and get ready to change them anyway, it just seems strange because it limits the amount of life the pad has by quite a bit.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Most brake pads on motorcycles have a wear indicator on the lining of the pad. It looks like a "step", at the edge of the pad (some aftermarket don't). This is just before the pad wears down to the clip. If you look closely, you will see the pad, touching the rotor, and the step, leaves a slight gap. When you can't see the gap- the step is gone indicating the pads are worn. The clip will start to chirp, if you go much beyond that. I also will warn you the motorcycle brake pads don't look all that thick when they are new, so don't condemn worn pads too soon. I looked at your photo, and it looked like it still had wear left on it. You could always take it off, and inspect it completely. Of course, at that point, you may want to replace it anyway, since it's off! (Decisions, decisions)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts