Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I noticed my chain is a little loose. I've adjusted this on my 250cc Honda Rebel, but don't have any of the specs on my '01 800 Classic. I believe it is supposed to play about 1" to 1 1/4", or about the width of the frame right next to it. It's past normal, so I figured I would loosen the rear axle and give the adjusting nuts a few turns. But I don't know how tight to bring the rear axle back to spec. How many ft lbs? Anyone know? Any tips on making sure the wheel stays straight?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Clymer Service Repair Maintenance manual for 800 A&B from 1995-2004, it says72 ft lbs of torque on the rear axle nut. I do not know if I am right about the alignment of the rear wheel but I use a string pulled down the edge of the frame past the rear tire and measure to the front and rear of the tire. When both measurements are the same I figure I am close. When the measurements are the same the lines on the axles are the same too.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
quick & dirty

One my old bike I just back off the adjusting bolt the same number of turns.

1 turn on one side then one turn on the other. Wheel stays straight & torgue to specs

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts