Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys! I got a DID 530VX chain and sprocket set for my '99 800 Classic. Once I had everything apart, I decided to get a 38T rear sprocket and put that on there. Now that I got all that put back together and the chain on, I've got a ridiculous amount of play in there, even when I put the rear tire all the way back. Am I an idiot, and just didn't realize I needed a different sized chain with a 17/38T sprocket setup, or is there something here I'm missing? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, I just realized the chain I got had 114 links, whereas the Classic needs 112 links. I guess I shouldn't trust ebay when it says it's good for my bike. I wonder, can 2 links be removed from there?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, you can get a link removal tool. It pushes the pin out and back in. Not sure of cost though, so check prices, may be cheaper to buy a new chain.

Also, make sure you look at motorcycle chain tools, not bicycle tools.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Would it be possible to use a punch and hammer to tap out two links and use a master link to reconnect the ends? You would obviously need to be careful that you don't damage the chain, but if the cost of the tool is the same or more than a replacement chain I'd say give it a go the caveman way.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Possible? Yes. Recommended? No. The tool is designed specifically for this purpose and I don't know about you but I don't want to be going 70mph+ down the road worrying about the pin wiggling loose and the chain flying through the air. What if the punch slips when you hammer and it bends the sides of the chain? Or you screw up the o-rings?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Before breaking the chain, You can use a simple angle grinder to cut off a pin head. Is it recommended? Yes! Because most of cheap chain breaking tools (under 100$) are too weak to depress the pins. They will be good only for joining chains.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is basically the exact method I was thinking, though I never even thought about using an angle grinder.

Again, if the cost of a replacement chain is less than the cost of the chain breaker then I say either just order the correct replacement chain, or try this method to remove a couple of links and use a master link. As long as you take your time so you don't damage any of the other links, it should be perfectly safe.

·
Registered
101 Posts
17/38 is an almost identical sprocket ratio to 18/40, so I assume that's the logic. Also, based on the Russian Wolf website, a 17/38 sprocket combo requires a 112 link chain.

·
Registered
119 Posts
17/42 is what my bike came with runs great, good pull off the line and it starts leveling out at around 70 mph. Never took her over 100 but 800's are cruisers, have run 90 to 95 most of the day out west before. Used to have an open speed limit in Montana. My most comfortable cruising speed anymore is around 70 to 80 mph, getting older.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts