Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeepers, 4,100 miles in two years and I have to replace my chain??? This is my 6th adjustment and no more room to adjust. Pretty pissed I have to replace it with so little mileage. It stretches that much? Oh, bike is showroom clean!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Jeepers, 4,100 miles in two years and I have to replace my chain??? This is my 6th adjustment and no more room to adjust. Pretty pissed I have to replace it with so little mileage. It stretches that much? Oh, bike is showroom clean!
It will stretch that much if you are overtighten it. In little over a year I haven't found the need of tightening the chain once. It's still sitting right at 25mm slack which I think for this bike is Perfect. 10-20mm as what is shown in the manual or on the swingarm is crazy tight and no wonder that chain stretches if you tighten it to those specs. Rather a little loose than too tight. 25mm max.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have to agree.
Dont be so fixed on the chain length/slack.
You could go many miles without even looking at the chain, and the bike would still go down the road fine.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for not telling me Tom lol. At least it should cost me under 300 to replace it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Check with Bearslayer. He swapped out his rear sprocket and I am thinking he may have also changed his chain? But I am not absolutely sure about that.
I believe the Vulcan S has a 520 pitch x 120 link chain. Not sure what the prices are for that chain. I have seen some on E-bay for around $73 bucks but I don't know if you trust E-Bay.
I am sure the dealer will charge significantly more for an OEM chain. My guess around $120 or so? I know Captn Evil on here had over 39k km (26k miles) on his original chain.
A chain definitely should last longer than 4k miles. I would complain to Kawasaki, perhaps they will send you a new chain for free?

·
Registered
653 Posts
... I know Captn Evil on here had over 39k km (26k miles) on his original chain.
43k km and still going. I check it with a wear gauge and it's still got life yet. The book says it's good for up to 45k km.
I've already got my replacement parts ready to go in case something happens prematurely.
DID 520VX2-120FB (Gold/Black)
DID Rivet style Connecting Link (520VX2 ZJ)
Ognibene Silent Rear Sprocket 46t (8061R46)
Ognibene Silent Front Sprocket 15t (457R15)
Ognibene Chain Closing Tool (10-9510)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
WOW, that is impressive. I wish I were in Australia so I could ride all year long. I have less miles on my daily driver (2015 VW Passat TDI). Just now went over 20,000 Miles/30k km on it.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will take pics tonight showing slack and rear adjustment position and post. The dealer says its probably sprockets. I dont believe that.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check with Bearslayer. He swapped out his rear sprocket and I am thinking he may have also changed his chain? But I am not absolutely sure about that.
I believe the Vulcan S has a 520 pitch x 120 link chain. Not sure what the prices are for that chain. I have seen some on E-bay for around $73 bucks but I don't know if you trust E-Bay.
I am sure the dealer will charge significantly more for an OEM chain. My guess around $120 or so? I know Captn Evil on here had over 39k km (26k miles) on his original chain.
A chain definitely should last longer than 4k miles. I would complain to Kawasaki, perhaps they will send you a new chain for free?
Thanks. Not capable of doing it myself. I will have my local NON stealership do it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
You Diesel polluter :)
Hey, that thing is Euro 6 Classified and probably the cleanest Diesel in the entire United States especially compared to all those butt ugly Pick Ups spewing nothing but Black Smoke into the air when they accelerate. They should be taken off the streets and flogged for air pollution. In Germany they are starting to restrict driving in certain areas if you have a Diesel not conforming to the new Standards. That means pretty much 80% of their cars and trucks. It's hard to enforce but they are going to set up Environmental sniffers that detect excessive Nitrogen Oxide and then start taking pictures of the license plates if they travel through a restricted area. The fines can be pretty steep. Germans don't fool around they enforce their laws and throw the book at ya :wink2:

That said, my Diesel gets better gas mileage than my Bike :grin2: (okay maybe not quite). 40+ in normal weather but less in this crappy cold shit. Suppose to be Minus 10 Fahrenheit Starting on Sunday with wind chills in the Minus 30 to minus 40 range. Before that we will have the second major snow storm within a week hitting us on Saturday with over a foot of snow and winds over 45mph. It's Blizzard time :grin2:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Stop doing wheelies!!! :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hey, that thing is Euro 6 Classified and probably the cleanest Diesel in the entire United States especially compared to all those butt ugly Pick Ups spewing nothing but Black Smoke into the air when they accelerate. They should be taken off the streets and flogged for air pollution. In Germany they are starting to restrict driving in certain areas if you have a Diesel not conforming to the new Standards. That means pretty much 80% of their cars and trucks. It's hard to enforce but they are going to set up Environmental sniffers that detect excessive Nitrogen Oxide and then start taking pictures of the license plates if they travel through a restricted area. The fines can be pretty steep. Germans don't fool around they enforce their laws and throw the book at ya :wink2:

That said, my Diesel gets better gas mileage than my Bike :grin2: (okay maybe not quite). 40+ in normal weather but less in this crappy cold shit. Suppose to be Minus 10 Fahrenheit Starting on Sunday with wind chills in the Minus 30 to minus 40 range. Before that we will have the second major snow storm within a week hitting us on Saturday with over a foot of snow and winds over 45mph. It's Blizzard time :grin2:
Now Tom, there’s nothing better than “rolling coal” in your pickup!

·
Registered
141 Posts
43k km and still going. I check it with a wear gauge and it's still got life yet. The book says it's good for up to 45k km.
I've already got my replacement parts ready to go in case something happens prematurely.
DID 520VX2-120FB (Gold/Black)
DID Rivet style Connecting Link (520VX2 ZJ)
Ognibene Silent Rear Sprocket 46t (8061R46)
Ognibene Silent Front Sprocket 15t (457R15)
Ognibene Chain Closing Tool (10-9510)
I'll be sure to save this for later

1 - 20 of 30 Posts