Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 04 Vulcan Classic, when I ride alone the chain is quiet, and I don't really hear any noise, I have adjusted the chain, it seems to have enough slack, but not too much. When I ride with my wife on the back the chain is very noisy at the front sprocket while accelerating or cruising, but if I coast it just clicks slightly. Is this normal? Our combined weight is approx 375. The bike is just noisier all around with both of us.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Should have 3/4"-1 1/4" slack at the tightest spot. Who old are the chain and sprockets? If you have any tight links in the chain, this may be what is causing the noise, like a pulsating sound. The teeth on the sprockets should be rounded on the tips, if pointed, its time for new. I always replace both sprockets and chain together. May also check your preload on the shock, they come at the softest setting and many never change it. Its a collar on the top of shock with steps on it to tighten the spring, makes it stiffer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did already adjust the preload, set it to 4 and it's comfortable for both of us. The chain, I really don't know, the last owner had it on too tight, and it was caked in oil and grunge and grime. I've been cleaning it, using some Lucas chain lube and it's not horrible, but I notice it there still. It seems like it might have some tight links. I know the 800 is a noisy model anyways, I hear cam chain noise, valve noise, etc...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If the chain was too tight very long, it may have worn the sprockets also. If too tight for too long, it may have damage the bearing on the output shaft, although the only time I heard of that kind of damage is when a belt drive conversion was done, so its unlikely I believe.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
On my 04 Vulcan Classic, when I ride alone the chain is quiet, and I don't really hear any noise, I have adjusted the chain, it seems to have enough slack, but not too much. When I ride with my wife on the back the chain is very noisy at the front sprocket while accelerating or cruising, but if I coast it just clicks slightly. Is this normal? Our combined weight is approx 375. The bike is just noisier all around with both of us.
Take off the front sprocket cover and check the teeth, they should be evenly tapered. If the teeth slope forwards or back, its scrap. Same with the rear sprocket, same taper both sides of each tooth, not sharpened or leaning either way.
Always replace both sprockets and chain at the same time. Sounds like a lot of money, but if you only do half the job it only lasts a quarter of the time a full set would.

When you adjust the chain, check mid point on the bottom run. Maximum deflection (full up to full down) should just over 1". Roll the bike forwards 4 ft and check again, roll it forwards another 4ft and check again. All chains have tight spots, find the tight spot, and adjust that to 1" max deflection.

also, dont take the marks on the back adjuster slot as accurate. many vulcan marks are very out of true. use a tape measure from the centre of the swing arm bolt to the centre of the wheel axle. Adjust the wheel so both are the same, THEN adjust the chain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts