Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a repair manual on the way, so that will likely cover this. With that being said...

Upon my very first clean and lube, I discovered that reaching the chain was quite a pain. The muffler and chain guards where in the way. I wound up just reaching between the muffler and the frame with the grunge brush to clean out the chain, then I went and lubed it up. I had the back of the bike jacked up so I could spin the tire while cleaning and lubing.

I did try removing the chain guard, but I found the back screw obstructed by the muffler. Is there a way to remove the muffler so I can get access to the guard? What tools will I need to do it? Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
To gain access to the rear screw on the chain guard have someone sit on the bike, compressing the suspension. The screw should be accessible now.

To remove the muffler you have to loosen the clamp at the front (12mm) then remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the frame. (12mm and 14mm). Carefully twist and pull the muffler towards the rear of the motorcycle and it will come off. Installation is reverse of removal.

I have cleaned the chain using the part of the chain accessible just below the chain guard. (6 o'clock-3 o'clock) It's a small space but doesn't require any tools.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts