Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should i go x-ring or stay with the traditional o-ring? which brand is the better these days? any recommendations would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
It would be interesting to see a comparison between RWHP for o and x ring.

I used an RK X-ring last fall. Only about 1000 miles on it but its holding up super and only needed adjusted after the first 150 miles or so.

Update: Finally got the chain good and hot yesterday after pulling up some of the hocking hills twisties @ 60-65. Have a good 2" of slack now. Hopefully this adjustment will be the last for a while.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
what size/count chain do we have? i'm getting a bunch of different answers in googling and filtering for vn800 on online shops.
I believe the 1st couple years with the 46 tooth rear sprocket use 114 links, all others use 112.

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Banned
123 Posts
I need a new 530 chain for my 2005 800. The front and rear sprockets are 17/41 and the old chain has 112 links and has a clip master link.
I read where if you remove the clip to not reuse it but buy a new one cause it weakens when removed.
I heard about rivet type master link chains, do those chains come with the rivet master link already connected? Or do you have to rivet the master link yourself.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Every one I've bought has came with a rivet link. To assemble, you can use 2 hammers. Place behind link to hold it and hit the outer part of link to mushroom the pin to lock the link together. You can also buy a tool to put these together. I used the hammer method 2 years ago instead of buying the clip link separately.

·
Banned
123 Posts
So when buying a chain they come with the master link already attached with the chain in continuous loop or de-attached and you have to attach the master link yourself?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The chain is not continuous, just a single length and a master link. I'd recommend the rivet tool if you have never done it before, but 2 hammers also works. Clip type master links are usually not recommended for a motorcycle for safety reasons but there are folks that use them.

·
Banned
123 Posts
if I order a bikemaster chain from BikeBandit will the chain include a rivet master link or is the master links sold separately from the chain

·
Banned
123 Posts
oh wait, just read the specs on that rivet tool above and it says something about hollow nose and solid nose master links, what's those?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts