Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just got a new (to me) '01 Vulcan 500. Brought it to the shop to get a once over to make sure I didn't miss anything huge during my pre-purchase inspection. Thankfully nothing came up mechanically. Just worn paint, could use new foot pegs. I need to adjust, clean and lube the chain. They also said the shift lever is bent a bit (the previous owner did mention that it fell of its kickstand once.) the bent lever doesnt effect the shifting or riding, is that something I can ignore? Also I don't have any motorcycle maintenance experience, however I did take automotive in high school. From what I've gathered the chain clean, lube and adjustment isnt too difficult. Anything I should be aware of before starting, that I definitely should or shouldn't do?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm new too here.
Clean the chain first to remove any dirt from it, don't just lube it.
Then you can adjust it first or lube it, it doesn't matter really, but I prefer to adjust it first cuz you'll be checking slack when you adjust.
Also open the sprocket cover and clean everything there (i had a friend who forgot to do this, he was new :D )
For the slack part, i don't know exactly how much it should be, but I assume somewhere around 1'' - 1 1/2''

1 - 4 of 4 Posts