Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my heat shields and Vance & Hines slip-ons to have them ceramic coated black at shop that advertises ceramic and powder coating for Motorcycle and car parts. As soon as the guy saw them he said he couldnt do chrome parts that he had no way of removing the chrome. He said the only way to remove it was to find a place that would dip it in an acid bath . He said that is the ONLY way to do it for him to coat them. Any of you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I took my heat shields and Vance & Hines slip-ons to have them ceramic coated black at shop that advertises ceramic and powder coating for Motorcycle and car parts. As soon as the guy saw them he said he couldnt do chrome parts that he had no way of removing the chrome. He said the only way to remove it was to find a place that would dip it in an acid bath . He said that is the ONLY way to do it for him to coat them. Any of you have any suggestions?
I ceramic coated my front exhaust pipe not the heat shields on my 1700 Nomad. Got rid of 50% of the heat from the pipes. Ceramic will get mared up easy if you touch it with your boots or anything else that melts to them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could try steel wool on them to scuff them up, but is sounds like your coater wants a cleaner (steel) surface so he doesn't have to deal with any issues on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The guy doesn't know what he's talking about.......You don't need to physically STRIP the chrome for ceramic and or powder, assuming the chrome is not physically peeling.

Case in point, the factory chrome is being used to emulate chrome tips.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts