Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever found the center for the 900?

towing question mainly as I'll be packing two bikes for a 1k+ mile journey in October and the trailer I'm looking at is about 8ft long. the 9 is just shy of 8ft from tip to tail with a 70" wheel span so little movement available

·
Registered
117 Posts
Why not just ride it LOL. Sorry had to say that. I don't have an answer for that. My wife has a 900 and her motto is if it's on a trailer then you better call the police because it's being stolen LOL. Sorry just couldn't resist. Ok, now going in Oct. you never know what the weather is going to be like. I am not to far from you and I am going to Nashville sometime hopefully in Sept. My daughter is having my first grandchild. My vehicles are not good enough to make a grueling trip like that so I am taking the bike. Road Trip LOL. Hopefully it won't be in Oct cause I wonder what the weather will be like up here. Never the less, I will be on the bike :)
Having said all that. I don't think you will have a problem trailering but I wouldn't put the luggage on the bike, if that is what you are doing. My buddy took his Voyegery on a trailer last year to NC and just straped it on and had no problems.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
those are indeed the center of measurements. but alas like autos the middle of the vehicle is not the center of gravity (ex. 57/43 on f/r wheels)

ahh well

·
Registered
269 Posts

towing question mainly as I'll be packing two bikes for a 1k+ mile journey in October and the trailer I'm looking at is about 8ft long. the 9 is just shy of 8ft from tip to tail with a 70" wheel span so little movement available
I trailered my 2009 Vulcan 900 LT Classic almost 600 miles a few months ago, but I used a 9+ foot long trailer from U-Haul. With that I had no problem keeping the weight forward (toward the tongue). With an 8 foot trailer, you may have a slight problem with the center of gravity being a little too far to the rear. However, you can compensate for this if you use your head.

Put some heavy stuff in the forward end of the trailer. Also, keep the gas tank full of gas since that is in front of the Center of Gravity (CG). Keep the saddle bags empty, or at least filled with lightweight stuff. It's important that you keep considerable weight on the towing ball or the trailer won't tow properly.

Heck, you could even get some sandbags and fill them with sand and tie/strap them securely to the forward frame/tongue of the trailer. You need to keep the CG of the load and the trailer at least a foot in front of the axle. I've watched improperly loaded trailers going down the highway and can see the a$$ end of the trailer swaying back and forth the whole way. This is dangerous.

I would estimate that when you get both bikes on the trailer, you'll probably want at least 150 pounds of weight on the trailer ball, or maybe a little more. If you've got much less than that, you'll likely have an unpleasant as well as unsafe towing experience.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Chas hit it on the head. Without being able to adjust the bike fore and aft about all you can do is add weight to the tongue end of the trailer to bring the weight up. Just ensure you securely fasten any additional loads.

Good luck

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx chas and Hwy. ya I need to change the oil anyway so probably will play with seeing how it goes. it's a stock weighted custom for now. backrest and batwing is en route so may get a few pounds over the front fork. I'll definitely keep the tank full.

I actually just bought the trailer today, 5x8 with mesh floor (black solid from TS)

I do have two 70 lb sand bags in my truck now so I can move those easily to the trailer. for now it's open but will likely concoct a front deflection piece that could also add some tongue weight

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts

The shop manual states the curb weight, dry, to be 550 lbs. The weight distribution is, f 280, r 331 or f 46%, r 54%. I use a lift that uses a single bar perpendicular across the bottom frame tubing. If I lift the bike directly behind the kick stand I can rock the bike easily front to back.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WERD

hmm, maybe I'll tow it backwards :p

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Back the bike onto the trailer, back of bike usually heavier. If doing this, LEAVE THE WINDSHIELD OFF!! Have seen a couple bikes on trailers or the back of truck backwards with busted windshields, they just werent designed to withstand high winds from the back side.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts