Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I traded my Burgman 400 for a 2007 VN900LT a couple of months ago. This forum was a big help in helping me decide on moving to the VN900LT as well as being an invaluable source for info on maintenance and upgrades. You guys and gals rock!!!

My 900 LT had only 10,000 miles when I picked it up from Citrus Cycle Center in Lecanto Florida. It was bone stock except for an engine guard with highway pegs. My first priority was to increase carrying capacity by adding a rack behind the sissy bar. I am on a limited budget right now so I was delighted to find one for only $65 plus $12 shipping from Stanley Fong at Cavalry Custom out of San Francisco...

Here is a link with a photo of the rack mounted on a vulcan...
http://www.cavalrycustoms.com/store/product226.html

I placed the order through Cavalry's online shopping cart on September 1st and was pleased to promptly have it delivered to my door step Sept 4 by USPS.

I eagerly opened the Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box the rack was packaged in and went outside to grab some tools and install it. Something didn't seem right when I placed the rack behind the sissy bar for a test fit. The mounts with the holes were nowhere near where they should be. Clearly they had sent the wrong part. I went back into the house and double checked the order receipt and the invoice. Heck, maybe I fat fingered the order form and ordered the wrong part. Nope, both the order receipt and the package invoice plainly show I had ordered the correct part... LR17, which has the mounting tabs distance: 13 1/2" outside to outside.

OK, shhhh-stuff happens, but the mark of a great company is how they respond to and rectify mistakes that they make.

I had this fantasy that Stan at Cavalry would profusely apologize and quickly send me the correct luggage rack along with a pre-paid shipping label so I could send back the rack they had sent in error.
After all their motto states "Your satisfaction is always our first priority"
This was not to be. I had to eat the cost to send back the mis-sent rack before they would send the one I ordered.
To Cavalry's credit they did quickly send me the correct luggage rack once they received the incorrect one from me.
I have included the correspondence with Stan at Cavalry Custom at the end of this posting for the amusement of anyone interested,

OK, how does the luggage rack look? It looks good. The top and sides of the rack are nice and shiney. It is ruggedly built, although the 2 corner welds are not the prettiest, it is certainly functional and will certainly securely hold anything I care to strap to it.

How did the installation go? The luggage rack bracket was fabricated maybe an eighth of an inch too narrow so it was a bitch to stretch it wide enough to slip over the stock sissy bar. Ended up taking off the sissy bar, saddle bags, side rails and associated hardware and assembling it off the bike, which involved beating it with a rubber hammer and using padded c-clamps to get it aligned. Brute strength and ignorance persevered and I finally got it properly mounted and looking proper.

Is it worth the $65 plus shipping? Most definitely, if they hadn't screwed up the order and caused me the inconvenience and expense of sending the incorrect part back.

Will I buy anything else from Stan at Cavalry Custom? Probably not. I will give some other company the chance to WOW me with their customer service.

Can I recommend Cavalry as a reliable vendor? I have no idea how many orders they routinely screw-up. My order could be an aberration. The superior online vendors will offer to pick up the cost of return postage for errors that they make and sometimes send along a discount coupon for your troubles in an attempt to smooth things over.

Here is a transcript of how the communication went...

Me to Stanley...

Hi Stan,
I was disappointed to receive a luggage rack for the vulcan classic instead of the LR17 with the 13 1/2 mounting distance for the Vulcan 900 LT I ordered.
Please send the LR17 at your earliest convenience.
Despite receiving the incorrect luggage rack with the 7 1/2 inch wide mounting distance, I was pleased with your fast shipping.
Later,
Dale Pray

Stanley Fong to me...

"please send the item back for refund if no fit your sissy bar. TY"

Hmmm, I didn't want a refund, just the correct part. Perhaps there is a language barrier here or I clumsily explained the problem.

Me to Stanley...

Hi Stan,
I think I have explained my problem poorly. Please let me try again.

Your company made a mistake and sent me the wrong part.
I ordered LR17 cost $65
Your company made a terrible error and sent the wrong part LR8 cost $55

Please quickly send me the correct part that I ordered and payed for... LR17 cost $65

I understand that mistakes happen. It is fair and honorable when a company corrects the mistake promptly with no additional cost and inconvenience to the good customer.
I will gladly return the wrong part you sent when you correct the error that the Cavalry Custom worker made. Please send a prepaid shipping label so I may quickly return to you the LR8 part your worker sent in error..

Thanking you for your understanding and help.
Dale Pray

Stanley Fong to me...
"Please send the item back for exchange...TY"

Hmmm, it doesn't sound like they are going to send me a pre-paid shipping label or offer to refund me the cost of shipping the wrongly sent part back.

Me to Stanley...

Hi Stan,
I put it in the Priority Mail today. You should be receiving it Saturday or Monday.
Please send the LR17 with the 13 1/2 mounting distance.
I was very disappointed that you did not apologize for screwing up the original order and causing me the extra expense and inconvenience for mailing back the item you sent in error.
Later,
Dale Pray

Stanley Fong to me...

"WE APOLOGIZE. WE DIDN'T MEAN TO SOUND IGNORANT. THANKS."

Hmmmm, well I guess that is an apology. It was SHOUTED so it must be sincere ;-)
Later,
Dale

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cavalry Custom

I also purchased this same luggage rack. All I can say is nightmare. It was built to short and I tried to force it on. I broke a bolt off in my sissy bar and promptly sent back this piece of garbage. I wouldn't even think of using this company again.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I bought the sissy bar/luggage rack combo from Cavalry. It came promptly and fit correctly, but I did notice 2 small discrepancies that must've occurred in the ol' QA department:

One of the Allen bolts had a filled head. Not a deal breaker, but annoying nonetheless.

The nickel spacers in my kit WERE ALL THE SAME LENGTH. Which means on the forward bolts they didn't space anything and the bracket rested against my chrome trim. I went over to Lowe's and picked up a couple stainless steel spacers for less than 2 bucks.

While the setup is solid and decent looking and was a great price, I'm always going to wonder, especially after reading your review, Dale, if I'm getting the right stuff when I order from them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Foolishly just bought one too. Specs way off.

Hi All
I made the mistake of purchasing from this same company via EBAY and my tail rack is off by just under an 1/8th at the widest, and another 1/8th at the narrowest. We will see what they have to say but my guess, based on the price, is that the units on ebay are all out of spec. I may have an fix for it that I will share with you depending. Super frustrating with my big Dallas - Seattle trip just 2 weeks away. Arrrgggh

1 - 6 of 6 Posts