Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I was cleaning the chain and gave the bike as wash after cleaning. I followed the owners manual instructions but when I went to start the bike the warm it up and dry it off with the bikes heat and to run it a block to warm up the chain before lubing it. The bike would not start. All the lights came on and it sounded like it was trying to start but would not turn over. I let it stand for a couple hours and tried again. This time it sounded better but still no luck. I left it over night and tried in the morning and no problem.
So I am guessing the air filter got wet. I don't have a service manual and I could not find anything with a visual inspection that led me to think i found the air filter. According to the owners manual the air cleaner is a "wet paper filter"
should i be worried about replacing the filter now?

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,856 Posts
Maybe you got some water up in there. What bike? Carb or fuel inject? After I was mine I get the leaf blower out. 150 mph wind dries it off pretty good.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I believe it's the new 650s

·
Registered
12 Posts
The airfilter is located right underneath the tank. If you follow the throttle cable all the way down to the engine, its located on top of the engine and the inlets face towards the radiator. Looks like they are split like a Y. Maybe next time just cover them up before a wash?

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The airfilter is located right underneath the tank. If you follow the throttle cable all the way down to the engine, its located on top of the engine and the inlets face towards the radiator. Looks like they are split like a Y. Maybe next time just cover them up before a wash?
Thank you! I will make sure to plug that in the future before washing, and avoid unnecessary water in that area as well.

Still concerned about the filter should i be worried about replacing it now that it has gotten wet?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
One of the things I see people do a lot, totally unnecessary, is using water pressure. A pressurized stream, a power washer, etc. You aren't power washing a deck. Use a good car wash soap and a nice wash mitt and you'll get everything off. Microfiber bug sponges are nice for getting stuck on bugs. But it's a motorcycle with fragile soft clear coat paint; not a pot you're scrubbing in the sink. A gentle stream of water to rinse away soap and dirt is all that's needed. The same goes for your car or anything else.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Pressure wash? Hoses? Blow dryers? No such luxury.
I use a spray bottle squirty thingy with clean water and small amount of car wash soap and a lot of clean soft white shop rags sold in auto parts store. Microfiber rags for finishing off polycarbonate surfaces (plastic glass) and fake plastic chrome things. After washing the bike the rags go in to washer. Microfiber rags are available on amazon, sold in large packages. Nearly waterless wash, but no hard rubbing and scrubbing. So far worked for me.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I like S100 spray it on, a light rinse of the hose off, blow dry, them touch up with micro fiber.

Any one else use the S100??

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
See That "Air Intake" opening,

I have known people that have had, I have had bikes that in my garage, That small hole.

Mice, build a nest in there, next thing you know, Bike has very low power or does not want to start, or stay running, cause the engine is chocking on the mouse nest blocking the intake air from reaching the engine.

I usually put 1/4" x 1/4" square hole steel mesh screen from Home depot, Lowes,

form it around the opening, this will keep the air box free from housing small varmints.

You would be surprised how much crap i pulled out of a bike's Air Box, in just 4 months stored during the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts