Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bad place and looking for help. I'm really tempted to try the darkside with my V2K. I'm thinking of putting the goodyear triple tread or the michelin hydroedge tire, size 205 or 215/60/16 on my bearst. I've read that alot of people love it, but what about the insurance companies? Anyone with ideas/experience.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Well, my idea is that if/when I find someone to mount a car tire on my bike, it will be done. I really like my Pirelli Night Dragon, but at $200 a pop, I can really, really like an Altimax for $60 a pop. :D

If you're concerned about the insurance company, check your policy and/or call yours and ask them what they think about it. My SF policy doesn't say anything about tires or changing OEM equipment/recommendations, that I can recall, so I don't think they'd have a leg to stand on, trying to deny some kind of claim.

They'd have to be able to show that I knew that doing that was dangerous or whatever, and that certainly isn't the case. I've heard and read nothing but good things from the vast majority of folks that have done it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caught between a rock and a hard place

Thanks Kerry, I've got a co-worker with a MC tire changer so no problem getting it on the rim. I will check with my insurance company and read the fine print in my policy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm in a bad place and looking for help. I'm really tempted to try the darkside with my V2K. I'm thinking of putting the goodyear triple tread or the michelin hydroedge tire, size 205 or 215/60/16 on my bearst. I've read that alot of people love it, but what about the insurance companies? Anyone with ideas/experience.
I run a 215. Nothing bad will happen. I will NEVER go back. Can't tell any difference in turns.

·
Registered
319 Posts
tire

The only problem i had switching to a car tire was that in the end, I pushed the bike to the limits and needed to buy a decent front tire for the bike. The old "stone" couldn't handle it. I can corner and scrape the pegs anytime I want with ease

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
we will just call you "sparky"

The only problem i had switching to a car tire was that in the end, I pushed the bike to the limits and needed to buy a decent front tire for the bike. The old "stone" couldn't handle it. I can corner and scrape the pegs anytime I want with ease
gi... er sparky, them brik-stones r pooh. I tossed the front at 10k. replaced it with a metz and ran a hydroedge rear. with the rear ct, the front tire wears faster. the new metz went at 14k. becuz then the front is doing more work with this set up. I'd rather change fronts for less moola n work. out, ponch

·
Registered
696 Posts
Thanks Kerry, I've got a co-worker with a MC tire changer so no problem getting it on the rim. I will check with my insurance company and read the fine print in my policy.
Cool. I'd be interested to know if the insurance company had any objections and what those objections were.

Mine is most concerned about the accident and theft ratio, along with the size of the bike. Pretty expensive insurance in my area..... :(

·
Registered
319 Posts
tire

I have State Farm insurance and they say if it's legal in the state where the bike is operated in, then it's OK with them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caught between a rock and a hard place

Cool, I will check with my insurance and the Va. laws., Thanks gillyiowa

1 - 9 of 9 Posts