Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I came home from a few days vacation. My brand spankin' new Vulcan was sitting next to the house bully covered as always. Then I notice a cat wanted to claim the front tire and wheel by marking it!:surprise: Will cat urine damage the tire or the chrome on the wheel? I can't think of any practical way to keep a cat from doing it. I have cats and the neighbors have cats. There is already a car in our one-car garage so that is out of the question. Yes, some lead poisoning may help, but there will just be another one taking its place. So, should I worry about damage?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Or a dog . . .

Don't think that cat pee will harm a tire, but am not certain about what it will do to chrome, especially with repeat applications.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Yeah, cat urine contains fairly high levels of uric acid and will damage chrome. High uric acid in the blood in humans (which can result in gout) is known to damage stainless steel with high chromium content in implants.

If you can't do anything about the cat, your best bet for the chrome rims is to keep a good sealer or wax on them that is removed when you polish the rims. Wash off the urine ASAP whenever you see it. A cat urine odor neutralizer may be needed if the rubber retains the smell too much.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, fortunately there is no smell yet. I do like the ideas of a bigger cat (Siberian tiger should do) or a dog. As I don't keep the bike in the back yard I will have to train the new pet to stay in the front yard. Might be fun. :) I will apply a good coat of wax on both wheels. I have heard of placing an electrical pad next to the tire then wire it to the wheel. The animal (cat or dog) makes the connection and gets a surprise. As the cat MAY be one of mine it would have to be a low current to merely let them know not to do it again. Yep, the easiest and most conservative approach is certainly a good wax.
Thx!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts