Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im not looking to start an oil debate but i got the full synthetic casrol 10w40 oil it seems to have a high rating for wet clutch systems JASO MA-2 .....has any one else used it did you like it ??

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
hey guys im not looking to start an oil debate but i got the full synthetic casrol 10w40 oil it seems to have a high rating for wet clutch systems JASO MA-2 .....has any one else used it did you like it ??
I used and sold Castrol full syn m/c oil in the late 90's/early 2000 or so. Never had a problem and we will never have a problem with non-energy conserving oils used in our skoots.

The MA2 spec allows for a higher friction level in the clutch pack than MA1. In using MA2 oils vs MA1 we have found better resistance to clutch slippage but sometimes notchier shifting when compared to MA1 oils.

Amsoil has been MA2 since 2005, Acording to an Amsoil tech i spoke with back in 2005 when their new oil came out with the MA2 spec, the MA2 spec is to minimize clutch slippage problems in hi-powered engines.

Use the Castrol, you will never have a problem.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use the non-syn Castrol 10w40 motorcycle oil in my 08` VN2000 Classic. I've read some of the VN2000's are guilty of oil consumption, but I have not had this issue with mine going 2.5K miles between changes.

I found it for $1.99 per/qt, so I buy it by the case.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Castrol is a class 3 I believe, coudl be wrong but I'm 98% sure

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just switched over to Castrol Power RS Racing 4T Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil - SAE 10W-40 in my 900. I have about 1000 miles on the new oil and like it. Shifting seems smoother to me compared to the conventional Kawasaki oil that was in there previously.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool seems like good stuff , good reviews, i just did my service and i like it so far i was able to get it local in town thanks for your input guys

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have been using Castrol 20/50 for over 30 years in 30 plus motorcycles and never had an issue. Just traded in a 02 Venture with 120k miles all on Castrol 20/50 (NON SYNTHETIC). It still did not use a drop of oil between changes. So when I did the 600 mile service on my new Voyager I put in Castrol 20/50. I plan on putting well over 100 k on it also....

Synthetic oil is OK but why pay for it when it is not necessary for normal motorcycles doing normal things. I once got to talk to one of the guys that designed the engine for the then new 01 PT Cruiser, he said what I just said. He did not recommend ever putting Synthetic oil in that PT Cruiser engine.

So I never used anything but Castrol 10W30 in it and I now have way over 300 thousand miles on it. It still does not use any oil between changes. As a matter of fact, my youngest daughter and her family is in it now on a cross country trip. It gets better gas mileage than their normal transportation.

So, I do not use Synthetic oil in any of my vehicles or 7 motorcycles. But I do only use Castrol.

But I am ANAL about changing oil every 3000 miles in everything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts