Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering switching from standard to semi synthetic motorcycle oil in my 09 1700 nomad . I found castrol actevo x-tra 4T semi-synthetic 4 stroke oil at a nearby cyclegear. Does anyone have any experience or strong feelings about this oil? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I'm considering switching from standard to semi synthetic motorcycle oil in my 09 1700 nomad . I found castrol actevo x-tra 4T semi-synthetic 4 stroke oil at a nearby cyclegear. Does anyone have any experience or strong feelings about this oil? Thanks.
Go to Castrol's website, the info on that oil shows it meets all of Kawi's requirements for oil. That really is the most important aspect of any oil. Oils are different in actual performance in the engine but as long as the oil meets the requirements you won't go wrong.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
281 Posts
I used that oil for 11 years in my 1500 classic and use it now in my Vaquero. Great stuff and lets the tranny shift smoothe like butter. It is reasonably priced and I was a maintenance freak, changed the oil every 1500 miles on the classic. I calmed down a bit and do it every 2500 on the Vaq. As a matter of fact will be heading to cycle gear tomorrow to get my 5 quarts and K&N oil filter. Bike is about to hit 5000 miles on the ODO. :D

·
Registered
482 Posts
Used it in both my v2ks since i wasnt sure if they used standard or synthetic, I love it and its like $5.98 ay wally world

·
Registered
81 Posts
I used that oil for 11 years in my 1500 classic and use it now in my Vaquero. Great stuff and lets the tranny shift smoothe like butter. It is reasonably priced and I was a maintenance freak, changed the oil every 1500 miles on the classic. I calmed down a bit and do it every 2500 on the Vaq. As a matter of fact will be heading to cycle gear tomorrow to get my 5 quarts and K&N oil filter. Bike is about to hit 5000 miles on the ODO. :D
I would rather be riding versus changing my oil that often.

Full Synthetic every 5k for me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would rather be riding versus changing my oil that often.

Full Synthetic every 5k for me.
I live in Florida, year round riding. 10 minutes to change my oil ain't gonna kill me. Liquid insurance my friend. And I can hop on my bike at any time for a long trip and know I have fresh oil. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've used it quite a bit for both my 900 and 1700 Vulcans and am quite happy with it. Unfortunately the local stealership only sells the more expensive factory branded oils now but I have been able some decent bulk deals online.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I live in Florida, year round riding. 10 minutes to change my oil ain't gonna kill me. Liquid insurance my friend. And I can hop on my bike at any time for a long trip and know I have fresh oil. :D
Never had an oil related issue in any of my bikes that I have owned. I have traveled across the country and back and never worried whether I had fresh oil.

·
Premium Member
1,095 Posts
Used the Castrol in my Sabre when I could find it on sale. It shifted better with Castrol than with most. I always knew when it was time to change the oil with most because the shifting would get rough. Castrol lasted from change to change (5K). The only thing I found better was Royal Purple, but it cost a lot more.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Castrol full synthetic motorcycle specific 4T. Will be running 6000 miles on it.
Kawasaki service manual says 6000 miles between oil canges.

Run a Bosch 3323 filter.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you are intent upon using a "semi-synthetic," then you may as well just stick with a dino oil as there are no published standards with regard to, and every OEM refuses to reveal, just how much synthetic oil actually comprises the "semi" part of the formula. In other words, your "semi-synthetic" could be as little as .01% synthetic oil and still be labeled as "semi-synthetic."

As there are many true-synthetic MC oils that meet MawKaws specifications, just find one of them (my personal preference is Valvoline), throw in a good filter (the Bosch filters mentioned elsewhere on this forum are excellent, are reasonably priced, and are available on Amazon), and ride on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts