Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been covered, I did a cursory search and didn't find it with the terms I thought would be used so here goes:

I now ride a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic and it gets buzzy on the highway above 65 mph or so... would like to go faster than that without being shaken and stirred, plus planning to move to a more mountainous region in the next few years and need FI so started looking for a new bike and test rode the Vulcan 900 Classic and Custom yesterday. Fell absolutely head over heels in love with the ride on the Vulcan 900 Classic, but terrified of riding on tubed tires :skeleton: - it's just a thing, I've tried to get over it and haven't been able to yet.

I love the look of the Custom but it just didn't *feel* as wonderful to me, so I'm hoping there's a way to put cast wheels on a Vulcan 900 Classic. Anybody know? Thanks in advance either way. :]

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Off topic, but I gotta ask--the VN900 has less vibration than the V-Star 1100 at freeway speeds?

·
Registered
451 Posts
If it's any consolation, you can run tubeless tires, but you gotta put a tube in them.

I've heard about sealing the spoke holes, but haven't read on here where anyone's actually done that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mbwarner, I can honestly say that the 900s I rode did not vibrate at all at 80 mph whereas my own 1100 leaves my hands tingly after less than an hour ride at 70 or so. The 1100 will hit 75 but it feels *to me* like it's working too hard at it, so I don't like pushing it that hard and I do get nervous about it. The 900s didn't flinch at 80, and if I hadn't already been exceeding the psl it would have been interesting to see, y'know... :)

And to clarify, the fear is of tubes 'sploding at high speeds... I can't even imagine rolling around at any speed on tires with sealed spoke holes, tubes or no tubes. lol. ;] Weird phobia I guess, but I'm stuck with it.

Whiting, thanks for the info... I did just find a little thread in the wheels section talking a bit about it... and something on another forum discussing a bit about it; have seen pics, so it's doable but I'll need more specifics and a lot of help from my mechanics if I go this route. If I'm really really lucky will eventually find somebody who's already done this and is ready to sell their bike. :]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Off topic, but I gotta ask--the VN900 has less vibration than the V-Star 1100 at freeway speeds?
So you have me wondering... you have problems with your Vulcan vibrating @ highway speeds then? Was the Classic I tried a fluke? :confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
So you have me wondering... you have problems with your Vulcan vibrating @ highway speeds then? Was the Classic I tried a fluke? :confused:
It is not so much a vibration thing as you just feel the rpms getting up a bit. And even then it is not bad by any means. She is really smooth on up to 90+.:D Many of us have opted to install the Scootworks front or rear pully to change the ratios slightly. This lowers the rpms a little at highway speeds. Also, a front pulley change makes the speedo almost spot on. Again, I have never felt uncomfortable or had numb hands from vibration at highway speeds. I did it just to take a little strain off the engine at those speeds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I did it - I pick up my new-to-me 2009 VN900 Classic today (will be a chilly ride but forecast only gets worse next week). Plan to save up for the cast front wheel, and hopefully swap the rear with a Custom Vulcan owner, or buy one outright. Clickable thumbnail:

:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts