Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a YouTube video about mounting a MSR canister to carry extra gas but the mounts has been on sport bikes and adventure bikes. Does anyone have a suggestions on a mounting place on a 900 custom? I was considering the left side of the swing arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
why do you feel the need for extra fuel is more the question, surely the tank is big enough to coincide with the mpg that you must get.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've seen a YouTube video about mounting a MSR canister to carry extra gas but the mounts has been on sport bikes and adventure bikes. Does anyone have a suggestions on a mounting place on a 900 custom? I was considering the left side of the swing arm.

I bought one of these and it has been in my saddlebag for almost a year now and works great.

https://www.retrobikegear.com/biltwell-gasolina-bottle-red-1-3-gallon/

It holds .396 gallon of gas and you don't get any gas fumes from this. The company I purchased it from doesn't sell it anymore but this is the price I paid for it back then.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
why do you feel the need for extra fuel is more the question, surely the tank is big enough to coincide with the mpg that you must get.
I'm curious too. The Vulcan 900 is one of the longest range motorcycles on the market. Lots of riders get well over 200+ miles before the light even comes on, meaning they have a gallon left. When I had my 900, I'd frequently get gas around 175 miles, and only put 3.5~4 gallons in; meaning I could've gone another 60+ miles easily!

I've been to some pretty remote places in the Appalachians and out west and don't think I was ever anywhere near 200 miles between gas station. 75 miles out west? Absolutely! But 200? Unless you're planning a Klondike adventure...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I probably won't do this after all, I wasn't sure on the Vulcan the mileage range and with the gauge saying empty but the light not coming on I didn't want to end up stranded somewhere. Thanks for the tips, I'm really looking forward to many trips with this bike.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I probably won't do this after all, I wasn't sure on the Vulcan the mileage range and with the gauge saying empty but the light not coming on I didn't want to end up stranded somewhere. Thanks for the tips, I'm really looking forward to many trips with this bike.

It'll drop to empty pretty early, just watch for the light. If you're concerned, just get gas, and note the mileage and the amount of fuel you purchased. It's a 5.2 gallon tank. I'll bet when the needle drops to 'E', you only end up putting 3 gallons in. Add a few miles, fill up again, see when the light comes on, etc. Fuel economy varies. 55mph backroads are going to go a lot farther on gas than droning on the interstate at 70+, for example. Just watch for the light, get gas when it comes on. If you are somewhere really remote, then you should be mapping and planning your fuel stops anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts