Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
So the 2014 V900 Custom is my second bike, but I am used to caring for chrome, the flat black is new to me. Also my other bike is 1982 KZ440 LTD, so there is a large technology gap in bikes there.

Any suggestions/tips for the following would be greatly appreciated:
-How to clean/protect the flat black parts, especially the exhaust pipes?
-How to clean/protect the plastic parts, fenders mostly?
-Storage for the winter, should I put it on a stand to get it off the tires?
-Any other tips for a new V900 Custom owner?

Thank you,
HulkMobile

·
Registered
360 Posts
There is no grease fitting issue on a 2014.

Dsrieth, the grease fittings were done away with on the rear suspension link in around 2009 or 2010 (don't remember exactly).

Hulk, just wash the flat black - no weird wax or other crap needed. Don't use anything like Armour All on the flat black.

Treat the fenders like any automotive painted surface.

As for the tires, some folks like to run the bike up onto plywood to get the tires off the cement, others may jack the bike up to relieve the suspension and get the tires off the ground. I do run the bike onto plywood, but don't bother lifting the bike.

After your last ride of the season, fill the tank to the bottom of the cup inside the filler neck, add some type of stabilizer (some love Seafoam, others (like me) use regular stabilizer). Slosh the stabilizer around in the tank, then run the bike for a minute or two to get the stabilized fuel into the injectors. Don't start the bike again until you are ready to ride. Some folks try and get the last tank of fuel from a station WITHOUT ethanol in the regular fuel, if possible. Some use PREMIUM in the last fill before storage, as Premium often has zero ethanol in the fuel mix.

Some folks change the oil at the same time as tucking in the bike to bed for the season. For me, this depends on how many miles I have driven before my last ride. If it is less than 500km, I don't do this last oil change, but just leave it as is.

Some folks change the oil again before the first ride in the Spring. I do not. But my first oil change of the season is done, for me, on a lower mileage interval - something like 2,000 - 3,000 km.

Put a proper battery tender on the bike for sure during the storage. This is vital to the health of your battery. Do not use a automotive trickle charger - buy a proper battery tender for bikes.

There is a ton of great info on this site. Search is your friend.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
There is no grease fitting issue on a 2014.

Dsrieth, the grease fittings were done away with on the rear suspension link in around 2009 or 2010 (don't remember exactly).

Hulk, just wash the flat black - no weird wax or other crap needed. Don't use anything like Armour All on the flat black.

Treat the fenders like any automotive painted surface.

As for the tires, some folks like to run the bike up onto plywood to get the tires off the cement, others may jack the bike up to relieve the suspension and get the tires off the ground. I do run the bike onto plywood, but don't bother lifting the bike.

After your last ride of the season, fill the tank to the bottom of the cup inside the filler neck, add some type of stabilizer (some love Seafoam, others (like me) use regular stabilizer). Slosh the stabilizer around in the tank, then run the bike for a minute or two to get the stabilized fuel into the injectors. Don't start the bike again until you are ready to ride. Some folks try and get the last tank of fuel from a station WITHOUT ethanol in the regular fuel, if possible. Some use PREMIUM in the last fill before storage, as Premium often has zero ethanol in the fuel mix.

Some folks change the oil at the same time as tucking in the bike to bed for the season. For me, this depends on how many miles I have driven before my last ride. If it is less than 500km, I don't do this last oil change, but just leave it as is.

Some folks change the oil again before the first ride in the Spring. I do not. But my first oil change of the season is done, for me, on a lower mileage interval - something like 2,000 - 3,000 km.

Put a proper battery tender on the bike for sure during the storage. This is vital to the health of your battery. Do not use a automotive trickle charger - buy a proper battery tender for bikes.

There is a ton of great info on this site. Search is your friend.
Couldn't have said it better myself

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hello,
So the 2014 V900 Custom is my second bike, but I am used to caring for chrome, the flat black is new to me. Also my other bike is 1982 KZ440 LTD, so there is a large technology gap in bikes there.

Thank you,
HulkMobile
As a new owner just remember this:

No need for Premium fuel, it runs fine on 87 Octane.

No need for Synthetic or blended oil. Any JASO MA oil will work (Rotella for example).

Don't be scared of RPMs, no reason not to do 75 or 80 on the Interstate (after break in).

Changing oil before 5000 miles is a waste of money.

Make sure the dealer gave you the tools. Can't change the spark-plugs or adjust the shock without them.

Ride it at every opportunity. It loves to go, go, go. Should last 50,000-100,000 plus miles.

Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hello,

Thank you,
HulkMobile
Not sure about the tech gap other than FI and a ecm.
Pick up a manual for it(even if you don't use a wrench)
Change fluids, do not forget brake fluid, coolant, lube cables, adjust valves.
Remember these 9's have a rev limiter about 7500-8000rpm, max power tends to start falling off around 5800-6000rpm. Drive it like a KAWI 900:D there are times I miss my 73 Z1 900 :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts