Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the symptoms
1) After bike starts pulling the choke will kill the running engine.
2) Engine runs pretty well but I was experiencing a lot of popping out the exhaust pipe from the front cylinder. The popping would occur at speed with no throttle applied. Accelerating and decelerating not so much. I tried to remedy this by turning the idle screw out a bit. This made things worse. It actually got better when I screwed it in. Like way in so it was only about a half a turn out!? What is up with that? Could this be from carbs being way out of synch, or overkill jet size? The bike did come with aftermarket exhaust and K&N Air filters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think I have any more vacuum leaks as I have searched high and low using the carb cleaner spray technique. Although those things can be real hard to find. Also I forgot to mention that when I do turn out the idle screw for the front cylinder the recommended 2.5 turns it actually stops combustion in the front cylinder and it runs only on the back cylinder. I can tell because the pipe / exhaust gas is cold. I am going to attempt to synch the carbs when I get out of work and see if that helps anything. Maybe the back cylinder is getting way more air than the front making the front cylinder too rich. That could explain why the proper amount of gas kills the front since there too much fuel and not enough air. That is my current thought process anyway.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally found where un-metered air is leaking into my bike! This causes the bike to sound like fireworks on the 4th of july when decelerating. I made a home made smoke machine and i could see smoke billowing out of the air surge tank ducts on both sides. It was coming out from where I highlighted the picture below. Im pretty sure I got those ducts seated on their as good as they can possibly be so I think the rubber must have gotten old and tired. Do you guys know of anyway to seal these up better and avoid paying 150 bucks for a set of new ones? Im thinking maybe I could gob them up with some Vaseline or something and then stick them back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts