Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago, I passed my 500 along to a friend because I was trying to clear out some lingering projects in the garage. He's been trying to get it back up and running, and we're struggling to get past a weird issue with the right side cylinder overflowing the float bowl as soon as you flip the fuel selector to prime.

We've pulled the carb rack repeatedly. Both floats are sealed and float perfectly. The rubber on both needles is soft and clean, and the seats are clean. I've run the carbs through an ultrasonic cleaner and used compressed air to follow up, and can't visually identify any issues at all. However, the overflow issue continues.

I've tried blowing air into the fuel inlet hose and moving the floats up and down. This consistently seals up the inlet flow as I raise the floats. I did the same test by immersing the rack into water. As the rack goes down and the floats come up, the inlet flow is 100% sealed.

I've tried raising the float height beyond anything that seemed reasonable to me before reinstalling the rack. It still overflows.

What on earth are we missing? Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip - I'll definitely check that out! That's the connection on the other tube that goes between the carbs, correct? Just to clarify, would/could that cause it to overflow before you try to start it?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Yes. A plugged vent will lot let the float work properly. The ‘other’ pipe between the carbs is the vent. Be sure to check the opening in the carb body and not just the pipe and hose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts