Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a replacement carburetor for my 2000 Vulcan 800 Classic!! I am having a hard time locating a used or new one, that is affordable or available. Anyone able to assist me?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Gonna be tough. It gets brought up on here fairly regularly. If you find one, it won't be cheap. Do you have the old one? If you aren't able to rebuild it, it would be worth sending it to someone who can. One of these days I'm going to adapt a 40mm Harley carb to my 800 just so we can have a tutorial on how to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have the old one. Unfortunately, I tried to replace the float and pin in the bowl, but the rod that holds the float in place was soooo tough to get out. When it finally came loose, it broke the one loop that holds it in place to the carb body and now I'm screwed.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's fixable. There is no stress or weight on that part, its sole job is to keep the valve on track. You can braze the broken piece back on. Put a drill bit the same size as the pin in the good ear and across the broken one. Put the broken piece over the drill bit and braze it. The filler won't stick to the drill bit so you can pull it out after the ear is repaired. Another option is to undercut the piece that is still on the carb, put a bit in it and build a new ear out of JB Weld. You undercut it to give the JB Weld a solid grip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts