Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, little help needed! i drive a VN800 and i laid it over back in january and since then its been problem after problem. long story short its running now but its not running correctly. It has after market straight pipes on it and a forward facing air intake. Also i took off the emissions and properly covered those ports on the carb.

The problem is that the carb is leaking gas from the air intakes. went in cleaned carb and noticed float needle spring was jammed all the way down. ordered new needle put back together and still leaks in stock position, adjusted float height a couple different times and still leakes. what could the issue be?? any tips and pointers?

·
Registered
239 Posts
in laying the bike over.... possible existing debris from bowl migrated into the needle/seat area, causing inability of needle to make full contact and seal?

all it takes is the tiniest piece of debris in the wrong spot...the fuel level rises and rises....filling the main mixing chamber and exiting through the air correction jets (most convenient exit path)

solution...remove float/needle, use carb cleaner on a Q-tip to swab out the seat, just like doin' your ears.
While disassembled...shoot some carb cleaner into the intake rail and blow the whole fuel path out. If you do this over white paper towels, you may see the junk.

When spraying, be mindful of the rubber slide diaphragm...always a good idea to remove prior to using aggressive carb cleaners....they can distort and permanently ruin the rubber.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OKay, i did take the carb apart and cleaned everything. (besides the diaphragm) and didnt really see anything besides discoloration. could their be something underneath the seating that could cause this? ill take it apart one more time and use a cotton swab to see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
239 Posts
the discoloration (a coating of gooped up fuel?) is perhaps your enemy unto itself

regardless, your needle and seat is not sealing, allowing carb overfilling

you are there....you are the boss

here's an example of a clean seat, though from a different Keihin carb

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts