Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help/advice/tips..

Carbs on my Vulcan have cracks in venturi (if that's the name) where diaphragm slider is, see the image for reference.

Since there are cracks on both of the carbs, my question is, is this normal or not? It doesn't look normal to me...
And can I use JB Weld or similar product to patch these cracks? Carbs are hell of a expensive, even used ones :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I’m not so sure that that area is compromised. The ‘crack’ that you are seeing is part of, what appears to be, an insert in the carburetor body. My guess is that the insert is there to reduce wear on the carb body from the slide movement. I inspected a set of spare carbs and, while not as pronounced as yours, I can see the different materials present. The insert seems to come almost all the way down the throat with a quite large gap at the bottom.

That said, is there a performance issue that caused you to inspect the carbs this closely? If this ‘crack’ is leaking it would only leak into the diaphragm area above the throat. That area is not critical to the fuel mixture.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been replacing intake and engine side boots with new ones, and noticed those ''cracks''
Scared me a lot at the moment since it's the first time i saw them. Couldn't find any pictures on the internet for reference so i thought this is bad. Luckily, you and some other people on the internet proved me wrong. This is in fact, normal and shouldn't cause any problems.
Bike had some running issues but that is probably because of boots which basically became plastic and couldn't fit 100% on carbs.
Currently fitting the carbs on bike, hopefully everything will work as it should.
Thanks for reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts