Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1997 vulcan classic the carb had dried out the pilot jet has no hole through it??? i have tried all the usual tricks and i cannot get anything to go through it but when i look at it closely it does not appear to have a hole in it ..is this normal i do not want to get to forceful with it

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,605 Posts
take a pic of that hole and area and post it here, any holes in the front of the carb throat can be either air holes for the pilot screw or fuel accelerator holes that squirt gas directly into the carb throat, and think the accelerator pump works when the throttle is wide open for acceleration

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yes, it should have a metering hole. Suggest to boil it (or use heated ultrasonic) followed by careful clearing using .017" guitar string or other correctly sized wire to clear it. Respect the size....avoid reaming it via oversized wire!
An alternative....replace with new, order from a online dealer or jets r us.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,605 Posts
if the holes are plugged up, it could be old gasoline that has gelled up like wax, you can use brake cleaner to dissolve it, just let the brake cleaner sit 10 minutes to dissolve the wax buildup, maybe remove the carb to try this method

·
Registered
277 Posts
Its assumed the jet is removed from carb I forgot to add...a concentrated, powerful blast of compressed air 100 psi or more after soaking, heating, chemicals...whatever your pleasure. Then holding the jet up to light and using eyeballs to confirm opening or not. Repeat after its revealed open, you need any old varnish cleared off the walls of the metering hole to assure full factory spec is restored. Hey, could be worse,

dan2.jpg

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,605 Posts
also, Seafoam is a good wax dissolver

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys i have cleaned out many jets in my time but never had one this solid i will try again this weekend

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,605 Posts
if you remove the carb, put it in a small container and fill the container with kerosene to dissolve all the wax in the holes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts