Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my 2002 classic 1500. 28500 miles. New to me last fall. Have not had it on the road much. Bought it as a salvage bike as it took a hit to the rear fender.
I went through fixing it up.
Checked my cam chain and they were at their limits. Took all the items off to do the extenders. When I did this I put a K&N filter on the right side. Put 170 main jet and 148 pilot jet it.
Its not totally ready for the road. So I can not go out cruzing to see how it is running on the open road.
It starts better after the jetting than it ever did. Ive got most of the off idle stumble out of it.
Idles fine and ive taken it for some short rides up and down the road.
My plugs look greyish not white or tan or brown or black.
Here is the question: can I tell from plug colours if I need more re-jetting from just the idling Ive been doing and short rides or do I need to get it on the open road to determine from plug colour if its still running lean?
thanks for input and insight.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Did you start with new plugs?

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Oh, and depending on the make of the jets, 170 could be really huge. It's a bit big anyway, since a stock jet would be a Keihin 138-142, depending on model.

Here's a handy conversion chart.

I put a 148 Dynojet in mine, which is a 162 Keihin.

Also, how many turns out did you turn the pilot screw?
Did you use the stock needle, or an adjustable one?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you start with new plugs?
Hi Pat, the plugs got about 4 miles on them.
Thanks for the chart. I went with the 170 from what I read on Gadget's fix it site. I may have to wait till I get it on the open road for more miles to tell if that main jet gets me the desired colour or not. If that will give me the proper indication of rich/lean on the main jet. It seems for the most part that the hard starts and popping has been fixed with the bigger pilot jet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put in Keihin Jets

Oh, and depending on the make of the jets, 170 could be really huge. It's a bit big anyway, since a stock jet would be a Keihin 138-142, depending on model.

Here's a handy conversion chart.

I put a 148 Dynojet in mine, which is a 162 Keihin.

Also, how many turns out did you turn the pilot screw?
Did you use the stock needle, or an adjustable one?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
new information

I put in Keihin Jets
I removed the carb today. I had just ordered and changed the jets from 138 main and 45 pilot to the 170 and 48 like I stated earlier.
What I found out today surprised me. It did not have the stock needle in it.
I could not find any markings on the needle. Should it have some identifying numbers on it?
Any way the clip was on the 4th ring down. Because of the greyish plugs I changed it to the 5th ring and put the main jet back in it as Im thinking that that main jet (138) would be different type than the 170 I put in and may cause problems. Any way thats what I found. If you care to comment Id appreciate it. thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts