Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone who helped with my electrical gremlin.
Now my new problem.
The part where the fuel line connects to the carbs is cracking, and the other similar connector has clean broken off.
Are these replaceable?
Also, whats the correct term for these parts? that would help my google search !
Blue circle broke off, Red doesnt look to be too far behind

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
is the hole with the blue circle the carb bowl air vent line?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi, zedteamk2!
Did You fix your inlet? Seems like I will also have to do it some day, sooner or later. Found some micro-cracks on my inlet.
Did You buy that part? How did it fit?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I havent had time to work on the bike recently. I need to figure out the correct size and get it ordered

·
Registered
234 Posts
OK. According, for example, to this, seems like the size is same for almost all Keihin CVK's. I searched for the part number 1003-0257.
If You have or get any other info, please share.
Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had replaced mine with a brass one from a Harley shop, on my VN400 Classic. The name of this part is "CVP Fuel Max Inlet Elbow"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If i understand how this works, this vent tube is not super important?
What are the dangers of letting it end where the tube broke off?
Also , is there a heat issue? i feel i could find an inexpensive fix at the local hardware store, if it does not need to need to be metal.

My Jeep has been under repair for 60 days now..... dunno how much longer i can milk them for the rental car.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's OK, if You can fix it with any other method. It just has to function properly and safely. Well, that's important. That's all.
It's not a good idea to leave it broken, mostly because of possible dirt. And Yes, there is some kind of heat issue from cylinders. It would not be a good idea to use melting materials there.
You can replace it with plastic elbow, too. Something like this.
IMHO, in most cases it's not worth to waste money and time with plastic again.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks, thats exactly what i need !
There are a bunch of those elbows out there. most like that one from Drag Specialties are for 1/4 fuel line, and that is the size of the factory plastic one. The other is that "CVP Fuel Max Inlet Elbow" and that is for 5/16 fuel line (I have larger jets in my carb, and around 75mph the bike wants more fuel flow so i'm changing to that piece).

search around on the internet. some of those elbows come as a kit with a 1/4-20 bolt and collar and nut. you need to pull the old elbow out, it's press fit in. you also need to press fit in the new elbow. it's a small pain in the ass. pulling the old out should be easy, just make sure the new elbow is square on the end so you can use a bench vise (protect the jaws) to press it back in.
think there are youtube vids out there about this. search for harley replacement vids, they used the same carb on sportsters.

your broken "blue circle" is a vent, and it's an elbow too (or in your case it was an elbow). don't know, but i would suspect its the same piece as the fuel inlet - but you should check on that, i never researched that because mine is fine.
sending two pix. hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had replaced mine with a brass one from a Harley shop, on my VN400 Classic. The name of this part is "CVP Fuel Max Inlet Elbow"
That's the best one out there. uses 5/16 fuel line. more fuel flow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts