Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 Vulcan 800--I'm not seeing an overflow tube, so where does the carb overflow and to and how? At first I thought the tube was missing, but it doesn't look like anything is broken, no passage to the drain, and the drawings don't show a tube either. Probably an obvious answer I'm not seeing . . . Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
your Keihin uses the vent opening, as referenced in your other thread, as overflow

1st pic...note high fuel level in the tube...an example of a "runaway" float valve. This slightly different EX500 Keihin carbset vents (and overflows) through a similar, though common fitting located between the 2 carbs ...

2nd pic is a correct fuel level (EX500 carb again) Your VN800 fuel level should be very close to this.

Wet testing, setting the working fuel level is SOP within my service

PS texas...your float bowl oring appears squashed, you may opt to replace it

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes, I do plan on replacing o-ring. OK, another question being as how you referenced 'wet testing'. The manual states in no uncertain terms that it must be performed on the bike and cannot be bench tested. It appears you are bench testing your carbs, so is it hard to set up? Just level them? Put them at the same angle as when they are on the bike? Etc.? Thanks for your answer on the overflow question.

·
Registered
59 Posts
looking at page 2-6 and 2-7 of the FSM...carb can be mounted on bike, bike situated *level* using a gravity fed auxiliary tank and clear tube on bowl to achieve the "service fuel level of 2mm + or - 1mm above upper edge of float chamber". Pretty straightforward. The variation in the factory spec affords some leeway...hence meeting that spec while level on a stand would be an acceptable parameter.

Of course, adjust height as needed tweaking the float tang...but may require carb removal for access and precision? ...I dunno on your 800's.

I use a custom made stand, using various temporary testing "mounts" ....one side for EX500 and Vulcan 500 ...flip her over for 250 Ninja. To this point...250's and 500's represent the vast majority of my business.
I'll frequently mount, test, remove, tweak multiple times until I absolutely nail it. Hence I need to be quickly on/off the stand. My system works very well.

Testing downdraft carbs requires some inventive tweaks, but can also be done using the stand.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts