Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm having some difficulties with my carb.

I got the bike (2000 Vulcan 1500 Classic non fuel injected) a month ago. I noticed it would limp out and backfire through the intake at on throttle, to about 1/4 throttle. I pulled the carb off today and cleaned it out. Put everything back together, replacing bowl gasket and setting Idle mixture screw at 1-1/4 out. Now it seems to idle good, but it gets so rich opening the throttle slowly, pours black smoke out the exhaust and sometimes dies out. If I rev it up it will seem to run strong at the higher RPM under full throttle. I double checked Idle Mixture, and I am absolutely stumped as to what went wrong.

The bike "Black Betty" has a Thunder MFG Tornado Intake, and Vance & Hines StraightShots? (pics included)

I Know I saw the Number 45 etched on the top of the pilot jet, but do not remember the number on the Main Jet. I can pull it back apart since im most likely going to be anyway.

If anyone out there has a solution to my problem, I will love you forever! Weather is getting nice and "I Wanna Ride, I Wanna Ride, I Wanna Ride" :dance: I know its not Honda here, but it works for anything, and that is worth a like!

Thank You for Your Time!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
not getting enough air, I think the problem is a combination of pilot jet size and the Tornado intake, since you're going to remove the carb again, take off the Tornado and left it off, change the 45 pilot jet up 1 size to a 46, turn the pilot mixture screw in till seated then back it out 1 and 1/2 turns, then reinstall the carb but not the Tornado and try it again, if it works great that way then you'll need to box that Tornado and get another less restrictive air intake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I under Stand that switching jets may make a difference, I'm just confused as to how a simple tear-down and clean led to such dramatic results on the other end of the scale. I will have to purchase a jet kit as well.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
You might have a float that is a sinker or is out of adjustment.

Also be advised that different manufacturers use different numbers for the same size jets. A OEM Keihin 138 main jet, which was stock in my 04 Classic, is a 128 in a Dynojet kit and is a 120 in Mikuni. Thus, if someone says "i pit a 170 main in my bike", is is a 170 Heihin (a huge jump in any case) or is it a 170 Mikuni, which would be a 205 Keihin?

I had to experiement lot with jets because it also depends on how you ride where you ride, elevation, humidity, and so on. It also depends on if you want more performance or better mileage. I travel on long trips out west where gas stations might be 120 miles apart. Mileage is a concern for me, but your concerns might be different. There is no one size that fits all. I found that bumping my stock 138 main up to a dynojet 140 and a 45 pilot jet with 2 turns out on the mixture screw is optimal for my bike. I have pipes and a Baron's Big Air kit and I get decent performance while maintaining about 45 mpg average. But I live where the humidity is around 50%, the elevation is about 2200 feet up and there are mountains, and I seldom run it over 70 MPH any more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Y'all aint gonna believe this SMH

Well, I went back down to the garage after a good nights sleep. I walked in, and started brain storming as to what I did wrong. I turned to bikebandit to find an assembly diagram, and saw a piece in the carb I didnt know was removable. (Ive taken apart and cleaned many carbs in my 25 years, and never saw it) The needle on the vacuum slide goes into the main jet, obviously, however there is a needle (Collar) that sits above the Main Jet Assembly, and this piece fell out when I was spraying. I found it luckily, tore the carb back out, back apart, and reinstalled it. Also reset the idle mixture screw to 1.25 turns out, and my baby got back! Turned the Mixture another quarter to half turn, and she runs like new again! I feel so stupid I missed this piece!

I am attaching pictures of the jets, not sure what brand they are, maybe someone could tell? lol, I doubt it unless they are unique. Also a pic of the little Needle collar that went MIA during the cleaning process.

I appreciate the replies Ive gotten so far, and they have definitely enlightened me on some new things.

I'll be honest, I only created this account to get help, but looking through posts and seeing pics of everyone else's pride and joy while waiting for posting permissions, I will definitely be making at minimum 2 visits a week to the forum. You guys are awesome, and the people I want to be talking to!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
Well, I went back down to the garage after a good nights sleep. I walked in, and started brain storming as to what I did wrong. I turned to bikebandit to find an assembly diagram, and saw a piece in the carb I didnt know was removable. (Ive taken apart and cleaned many carbs in my 25 years, and never saw it) The needle on the vacuum slide goes into the main jet, obviously, however there is a needle (Collar) that sits above the Main Jet Assembly, and this piece fell out when I was spraying. I found it luckily, tore the carb back out, back apart, and reinstalled it. Also reset the idle mixture screw to 1.25 turns out, and my baby got back! Turned the Mixture another quarter to half turn, and she runs like new again! I feel so stupid I missed this piece!

I am attaching pictures of the jets, not sure what brand they are, maybe someone could tell? lol, I doubt it unless they are unique. Also a pic of the little Needle collar that went MIA during the cleaning process.

I appreciate the replies Ive gotten so far, and they have definitely enlightened me on some new things.

I'll be honest, I only created this account to get help, but looking through posts and seeing pics of everyone else's pride and joy while waiting for posting permissions, I will definitely be making at minimum 2 visits a week to the forum. You guys are awesome, and the people I want to be talking to!
I love a happy ending.

Once on one of my many forays into trial and error, I was riding along and all of a sudden the bike just started bogging down big time and would barely run. By then I had learned to confine my test drives to up and down the street i front of my house so if I had to push it home I'd be close (guess how I learned this!) I tore it down again and the main jet had not been tightened down and it fell out from the vibration and was laying in the carb float bowl. Doh! I'm just glad it did it a block from my house and not in the middle of the Nevada desert.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts